How to Calculate the Volume of Hydrogen Gas from Liquid State?

In summary, to find the volume of 277 L of liquid hydrogen when it becomes a gas at 25 degrees Celcius and 1 atm, you can use the equation PV = nRT and convert the mass of 19.7 kg of hydrogen to moles and the temperature of 25 degrees Celcius to Kelvin. It is important to use the diatomic molecule H2 in the calculation. Using the value of R = 0.0821, the volume of the gas is approximately 2.39 x 10^5 L.
chemister
If 277 L of LIQUID hydrogen has a mass of 19.7 kg, what volume will this amount of hydrogen occupy as a GAS at 25 degrees celcius and 1 atm?

Is there some kind of equation that I can use to make this problem easier?

THANKS!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
PV = nRT

You'll use this equation for almost every gas problem.

R (ideal-gas constant) = 0.0821 L-atm/mole-K
V = volume (L)
P = pressure (atm)
n = amount (moles)
T = temperature (K)

V = nRT/P

You need to convert the 19.7 kg H2 to moles H2 and the 25 C to Kelvin.

If you need more help, go ahead and ask.

Do you have to take into account the hydrogen beginning as a LIQUID and ending as a GAS?

No because when you go from a liquid to a gas, the number of moles of H2 will still stay the same and therefore you can predict the volume.

When converting 19.7 Kg to moles would you use H2 (being 2.0158g) or just H (being 1.0079g)?

Good question. Always use the diatomic molecule...so H2.

Thanks for your help. So if i have done things right my answer should be close to 2.39 X 10^5 L :smile:

Yes I got a similar answer. By the way, what value are you using for R? 0.0821 or something more precise?

For this problem I just used 0.0821, but usually I use 0.082057

Related to How to Calculate the Volume of Hydrogen Gas from Liquid State?

What is the chemical equation for converting hydrogen gas to liquid?

The chemical equation for converting hydrogen gas (H2) to liquid form is H2 (g) → H2 (l).

How is hydrogen gas converted to liquid form?

Hydrogen gas can be converted to liquid form through a process called liquefaction, which involves cooling the gas to a temperature of -252.87°C (-423.17°F) and applying high pressure.

What are the properties of liquid hydrogen?

Liquid hydrogen has a boiling point of -252.87°C (-423.17°F) and a density of 0.07 g/cm3. It is highly flammable, colorless, odorless, and non-toxic.

What are the uses of liquid hydrogen?

Liquid hydrogen has many industrial and scientific applications. It is used as a rocket fuel, in the production of ammonia for fertilizers, and in the refining of petroleum. It is also used in hydrogen fuel cells to power vehicles and in the production of electronics and semiconductors.

What safety precautions should be taken when handling liquid hydrogen?

Liquid hydrogen is extremely flammable and can cause frostbite if it comes into contact with skin. Proper safety precautions must be taken when handling it, including wearing protective gear and following strict storage and handling procedures.