How to calculate the stress on a bolt?

• Thread starter seungwoo Park
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Bolt Stress
In summary: This problem seems to be asking for a detailed explanation of how the bolts are tightened, rather than just giving a recommended torque. In my opinion, this is not really an academic question, and you should not be providing a summary of the content.In summary, the textbook solution is incorrect. The solution provided by the student is incorrect.
seungwoo Park

Homework Statement

A hanger is fixed from the ceiling by using 4 bolts. The diameter of bolts are d=20.752mm, and load is equal to P=2kN. Determine normal stress of 4 bolts
KakaoTalk_20170416_104555298.jpg

4.jpg

why the Pa= +300N(upwards) is?
i think it should be -300N(downwards) like my solution(below).
and
Fa = 500 - 300 = 200N
but the solution and other problems solve like that(Fa=500+300)

Homework Equations

stress = load/area
moment = load*length

The Attempt at a Solution

1.JPG

2.JPG

3.JPG

Attachments

• KakaoTalk_20170416_104555298.jpg
    KakaoTalk_20170416_104555298.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 504
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 520
  • 1.JPG
    1.JPG
    17.2 KB · Views: 528
  • 2.JPG
    2.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 465
  • 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    26.4 KB · Views: 506
Physics news on Phys.org
Are you aware that this is a statically indeterminate problem? You have attempted to reduce the indeterminacy by assuming symmetry, but that may not be valid. There are basically 4 unknown bolt loads and only 3 equations available (two moment sums and one force sum).

With the assumptions you have previously made, the results are
Fa1 = Fa2 = 300 N down
Fb1 = Fb2 = 1300 N up
The actual stress in the bolt is another matter. These are simply the net forces transferred, but they do not account for how tightly the bolt squeezes the two parts together. With zero external load, we could still have very high stress in the bolts if they are tightened to an excessive degree.

Hi! Dr.D Thanks for response.
I asked this question to professor
He said, your solution is correct in terms of statics but we need to consider worst case when we design something(because this class is mechanical design class)
I think, He want to consider worst case...

seungwoo Park said:
Hi! Dr.D Thanks for response.
I asked this question to professor
He said, your solution is correct in terms of statics but we need to consider worst case when we design something(because this class is mechanical design class)
Looks to me like both you and the text are wrong. The text messed up on the negative sign...you were OK here. But beyond that, you and the text both added the vertical load distribution of 500 to each bolt, but this is not correct. When you consider sum of forces in y direction must be 0, you get that sum as 2000, not 0.

So what's your solution about this problem?? I think it is okay...

seungwoo Park said:
So what's your solution about this problem?? I think it is okay...
Hi
The textbook solution is incorrect. Your solution is incorrect. Dr. D has given you the correct answer for bolt load. You should explain why, and also explain the significance of the plus and minus sign (up and down loads).

seungwoo Park said:

The truly worst case is simply not defined with the given information. You could torque the bolts all the way to failure before the load P is ever applied. That seems to me to be the worst case, but nothing has been given about how the bolts are tightened. It is a poorly posed problem.

Do you even need the bolts marked A ?

Dr.D said:
The truly worst case is simply not defined with the given information. You could torque the bolts all the way to failure before the load P is ever applied. That seems to me to be the worst case, but nothing has been given about how the bolts are tightened. It is a poorly posed problem.
As long as the bolts are torqued in accordance with recommended values, the stress in the bolt can be computed by a simple P/A. Often I don't specify a torque value, instead, I specify the 'turn of the nut' method tighten snug then 1/3 or 1/2 of a turn more with a wrench.
CWatters said:
Do you even need the bolts marked A ?
In theory, no, but in practice, yes. Worst case does not depend on bearing pressure against the ceiling; rather, bolts are assumed to take the loads.

PhanthomJay said:
Often I don't specify a torque value, instead, I specify the 'turn of the nut' method tighten snug then 1/3 or 1/2 of a turn more with a wrench.

I think we are discussing an academic problem here, one for which a student is expected to be able to determine an answer. The method described by Phanthomjay is fine in practice (although it does not address the question of actual bolt stress), but it is not really a suitable answer for an academic problem.

Related to How to calculate the stress on a bolt?

1. What is the formula for calculating stress on a bolt?

The formula for calculating stress on a bolt is stress = force/area, where stress is measured in units of force per unit area (e.g. pounds per square inch) and force is measured in units of force (e.g. pounds).

2. How do I determine the force acting on a bolt?

You can determine the force acting on a bolt by using a force meter or by calculating the product of mass and acceleration (F=ma) if the bolt is experiencing acceleration.

3. What is the area of a bolt?

The area of a bolt can be calculated by multiplying the bolt's diameter by itself and then multiplying that result by pi (A=d^2 * pi). Alternatively, you can measure the bolt's cross-sectional area using calipers or a ruler.

4. How do I know if the stress on a bolt is too high?

If the stress on a bolt exceeds the yield strength of the material it is made of, then it is too high. The yield strength is a measure of the maximum amount of stress a material can withstand before it permanently deforms or breaks.

5. Can I use a bolt with a higher yield strength to reduce stress?

No, using a bolt with a higher yield strength will not necessarily reduce stress. The stress on a bolt is dependent on the force applied and the bolt's cross-sectional area, not the yield strength. Using a larger bolt or reducing the force applied are more effective ways to reduce stress.