How to Calculate the Speed of Water Exiting a Shower Head with 24 Holes?

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the speed of water leaving one of 24 holes in a shower head, given the internal radius of the water line and effective radius of the shower head. The equation of continuity is used to solve for the velocity, taking into account the total area of all 24 holes. The correct solution is approximately 8.79 m/s.
keemosabi

Homework Statement

A water line with an internal radius of 6.1*10^-3 m is connected to a shower head that has 24 holes. The speed of the water in the line is 1.2 m/s.

(b) At what speed does the water leave one of the holes (effective radius = 4.6*10^-4 m) in the head?

Homework Equations

Av = Av

The Attempt at a Solution

6.1*10^-3(1.2)= 4.6*10^-4(v)
V = 175.851

Obviously this is wrong because I didn't use the 24 holes information, but where does that fit in?

Physics news on Phys.org
Isn't the area the total of the area of the 24 holes and not just the area of 1?

LowlyPion said:
Isn't the area the total of the area of the 24 holes and not just the area of 1?
I tried that and got 4220.42 m/s, which it says is also wrong.

Those are radiuses. And when you calculate the area you have to square them, since the area of the cross section of a cylinder is a circle, and the area of the circle is: [tex]R^2\pi[/tex].

And you have to do what LowlyPion said, that you consider all the 24 holes, which are also circles ;)

Thaakisfox said:
Those are radiuses. And when you calculate the area you have to square them, since the area of the cross section of a cylinder is a circle, and the area of the circle is: [tex]R^2\pi[/tex].

And you have to do what LowlyPion said, that you consider all the 24 holes, which are also circles ;)

I actually found the areas correctly when I did my work earlier. I just typed it in wrong.

What do you mean by consider the 24 holes?

You considered only one hole. Whereas there are 24 holes, so you have to divide your answer by 24, and you will get: [tex]v\approx 8.79 m/s[/tex]

Thaakisfox said:
You considered only one hole. Whereas there are 24 holes, so you have to divide your answer by 24, and you will get: [tex]v\approx 8.79 m/s[/tex]
How did you do that? I got 175/24 = 7.3

keemosabi said:
I tried that and got 4220.42 m/s, which it says is also wrong.

The equation of continuity that you are using is really the conservation of mass since the water is an incompressible fluid.

The area of the input pipe times flow velocity through it will equal the total area of all the output holes times the flow velocity. Discarding pi ...

Ri² * Vi = 24 * Ro² * Vo

I got 6.63. How did you get that?6.1*10^-6 (1.2) = 24 * (4.6*10^-8) (v)

I solved for v and got 6.63.

you have to square 6.1 too i.e. [tex]6.1^2[/tex] and [tex] 4.6^2[/tex]

Thaakisfox said:
you have to square 6.1 too i.e. [tex]6.1^2[/tex] and [tex] 4.6^2[/tex]
Thank you for the help. I get it now.

Related to How to Calculate the Speed of Water Exiting a Shower Head with 24 Holes?

What is the "Equation of Continuity"?

The Equation of Continuity is a fundamental principle in fluid dynamics that states that the mass flow rate of a fluid must remain constant at any point along a continuous flow. It is based on the principle of conservation of mass.

How is the "Equation of Continuity" derived?

The Equation of Continuity is derived from the conservation of mass principle, which states that mass cannot be created or destroyed. It is also related to the concept of conservation of energy, as the mass flow rate is directly related to the energy flow rate in a fluid.

What are the applications of the "Equation of Continuity"?

The Equation of Continuity is used in many practical applications, such as in the design of fluid systems, hydraulic machinery, and aerodynamics. It is also used in meteorology and oceanography to analyze the movement of air and water currents.

What are the limitations of the "Equation of Continuity"?

The Equation of Continuity assumes that the fluid is incompressible and that there are no external forces acting on the fluid. It also assumes that the fluid is flowing steadily, without any turbulence or changes in direction. These limitations may not hold true in all real-world situations.

How is the "Equation of Continuity" related to Bernoulli's Principle?

Bernoulli's Principle is a special case of the Equation of Continuity, which applies to ideal fluids in a steady flow with no viscosity. It states that the sum of kinetic energy, potential energy, and pressure energy remains constant throughout the flow. Bernoulli's Principle can be derived from the Equation of Continuity and is often used in the analysis of fluid flow in pipes and channels.