How to calculate the running time of a battery?

In summary, the conversation discussed the power and energy consumption of a circuit being powered by a 5V, 0.025A power supply, and how this relates to the P=IV=0.125W calculation. The question of whether this is the same as 0.125W per second was also addressed. The conversation then moved on to considering the use of a Li-Ion battery with a 5V, 3200mAh rating to power the circuit, and the calculation of how long the battery would last. The concept of Amp-hours and Watt-hours as units of charge and energy was explained, and the caveat of varying energy and charge capacities at different loads was mentioned.
ttttrigg3r
Hello
I have a circuit. When I power the circuit with a power supply, the power supply reads 5V and 0.025A. This gives me the P=IV=0.125W. Is this the same as 0.125W per second?
I want to power this circuit with a Li-Ion battery that is rated 5V and 3200mAh. How long will my battery run this circuit?
Thank you

Engineering news on Phys.org
0.125 W is a measure of power - in other words, energy per unit time (joules/second). "0.125 W per second" doesn't make a lot of sense in this situation - or in any that I can think of right off hand. The 3200 mAh specification on the Li-Ion battery is basically telling you its current capacity. Allegedly, it can deliver 3200 mA for 1 hour, or deliver 1600 mA for 2 hours, or deliver 1 mA for 3200 hours. So if your circuit draws 0.025 A (or 25 mA), how long will the Li-Ion battery last? Of course, all of those numbers are approximations. Your performance may vary.

Likes billy_joule
I don't think anyone would measure Watts per second unless you wanted to account for some change in power consumption over time.

The Amp-hour rating or mAh is a unit of charge. Since current is coulombs per second, Amp-hours scaled to seconds is Coulombs per second times seconds which is just Coulombs. Watt-hours is a unit of energy in the same sense. They could just say a battery stores so many coulombs and so many Joules, but Amp-hours and Watt-hours are more practical so that's what is used.

As stated a battery with 3200 mAh can deliver 3.2A for an hour. That would be 3.2A for 3600s which is 11,520 Coulombs, the charge capacity of the battery. Simply divide Ah rating by current demand and you get run time in hours.

Watt-hours is the integral of charge capacity across voltage. Nominal voltage for a standard Li-Ion battery is 3.7V though voltage varies from 4.2V fully charged down to around 3V fully discharged. 3.7V is the nominal value used to simplify calculation of energy capacity down to charge capacity times voltage.

The caveat in calculating run time is that energy and charge capacity are not constant across all loads. Higher loads result in more energy wasted across battery internal resistance reducing the effective use of that energy. Typically Watt-hour and Amp-hour ratings are provided by manufacturers under a light load such as 1/5C. "C" stands for charge so for that particular battery it's 1/5 times 3200mAh for 640mA. Higher loads result in lower effective energy and charge capacities which need to be taken into consideration when calculating run times.

Likes ttttrigg3r
Thank you.

##1 \text{mAh}=\frac{18 \text{Ampere} \text{Second}}{5}=3.6 \text{Ampere} \text{Second}##

##1 \text{mAh} \text{Volt}=3.6 \text{Joule}##

##3200 \text{mAh} \times 3.7 \text{Volt}=\frac{42624. \text{Kilogram} \text{Meter}^2}{\text{Second}^2}=42624. \text{Joule}##

##3.2 \text{Ampere} \times 1 \text{Hour}=11520. \text{Coulomb}##

##1 \text{Ampere}=\frac{1. \text{Coulomb}}{\text{Second}}##

Last edited:

Related to How to calculate the running time of a battery?

1. How do I calculate the running time of a battery?

To calculate the running time of a battery, you need to know its capacity (measured in ampere-hours or milliampere-hours) and the current draw of the device it is powering (measured in amperes or milliamperes). Simply divide the battery's capacity by the current draw to get the running time in hours.

2. What is the formula for calculating battery running time?

The formula for calculating battery running time is: Running Time = Battery Capacity / Current Draw. This will give you the running time in hours. Keep in mind that this formula assumes a constant current draw, and does not account for factors like temperature and battery age.

3. Can I calculate battery running time without knowing the current draw?

No, the current draw is a crucial piece of information in calculating battery running time. Without knowing the current draw, the calculation would not be accurate.

4. How does battery chemistry affect running time?

Battery chemistry plays a significant role in determining battery running time. Different types of batteries (e.g. alkaline, lithium-ion, lead-acid) have different energy densities and discharge curves, which can impact their running time. Additionally, factors like temperature and age can also affect battery chemistry and consequently, the running time of a battery.

5. Is there a way to extend battery running time?

Yes, there are a few ways to extend battery running time. One way is to use low-power settings on your device, which can reduce the current draw. Another way is to use a battery with a higher capacity. Additionally, keeping your batteries at room temperature and properly maintaining them can also help extend their running time.