How to Calculate the Radius of the Second Sphere in a Conductor Problem?

• Thread starter xsc614
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Conductors
In summary, a spherical conductor of radius R1 is initially charged to 28 kV. When connected by a long, very thin conducting wire to a second conducting sphere far away, its potential drops to 12 kV. Using the equation V=kq/r and the value of k=8.99e9, the radius of the second sphere can be solved for by assigning variables q1=q2, k1=k2, v1=28kV, and v2=12kV. The result is R2 = 2/3 R1. There may be a slight discrepancy due to rounding errors.
xsc614

Homework Statement

A spherical conductor of radius R1 is charged to 28 kV. When it is connected by a long, very thin conducting wire to a second conducting sphere far away, its potential drops to 12 kV. What is the radius of the second sphere as a multiple of R1?

Homework Equations

V=kq/r
k=8.99e9

The Attempt at a Solution

Seems like it should be pretty simple. I just assigned variables q1=q2, k1=k2, v1=28kV and v2=12kV and solved for r (r=kq/V). Then compared the values of R. Webassign is giving me an incorrect answer. There was a similar problem and the book and using the books numbers i got R2=.6 R1 and the solutions manual said 2/3 R1 so I'm not sure if it's a rounding error or what. Just wanted to make sure I was doing it right since I only have 1 try left on webassign before I get locked out and lose easy points.

Thanks for any help in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Show your work in detail.

ehild

Related to How to Calculate the Radius of the Second Sphere in a Conductor Problem?

1. What is a simple conductor?

A simple conductor is a material that allows electricity to flow through it easily.

2. What are some examples of simple conductors?

Common examples of simple conductors include metals such as copper, silver, and aluminum.

3. How do simple conductors differ from insulators?

Simple conductors have a high number of free electrons that are able to move and conduct electricity, while insulators have very few free electrons and do not allow for the flow of electricity.

4. Can objects made of simple conductors hold an electric charge?

Yes, objects made of simple conductors can hold an electric charge. However, they are not able to hold onto the charge for very long and will eventually discharge.

5. How are simple conductors used in everyday life?

Simple conductors are used in many everyday objects such as wires, electrical appliances, and electronic devices. They are also used in power lines to transmit electricity over long distances.