How to Calculate the Radius of a Circle Tangent to Two Lines?

In summary, the given problem involves finding the radius of a circle that is tangent to two lines and contains a specific point. After determining that the given point is the point of tangency for one of the lines, the distance between the point and the other line is calculated. This leads to the use of the formula for the distance between a point and a line and the formula for a circle to set up a system of equations. By solving this system, two possible circles are found with radii of approximately 32.39 and 5.56. An alternative method using the angle between the two lines is also presented, resulting in a radius of 5.56.
ginger
I'm having some difficulty with this problem and any help would be appreciated.

What is the radius of a circle tangent to the lines y = 3x + 7 and y = .5x - 3 and containing the point (8,1)?

I've determined that the given point (8,1) is the point of tangency of the line y = .5x - 3 and the circle. Also, the tangent lines intersect at (-4,-5) and the distance between (-4,-5) and (8,1) is approximately 13.416. It seems like I would need to find the center of the circle and use the Pythagorean Theorem to find the radius, but I can't figure out how to find the center. The solution is 5.56. Any suggestions?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Re: tangent lines and circle

I would use the formula for the distance between a point and a line:

(1) \(\displaystyle d=\frac{\left|mx_0+b-y_0 \right|}{\sqrt{m^2+1}}\)

which you can see derived here:

http://www.mathhelpboards.com/f49/finding-distance-between-point-line-2952/

along with the formula for a circle in standard form:

(2) \(\displaystyle (x-h)^2+(y-k)^2=r^2\)

So, in (1) let $d=r$ and use the point $(h,k)$ to obtain:

\(\displaystyle r=\frac{\left|3h+7-k \right|}{\sqrt{3^2+1}}=\frac{\left|\frac{1}{2}h-3-k \right|}{\sqrt{\left(\frac{1}{2} \right)^2+1}}\)

and in (2) let $(x,y)=(8,1)$ to get:

\(\displaystyle (8-h)^2+(1-k)^2=r^2\)

From this, you have enough information to determine $r$.

I figured out another way to do it. I found the angle between the two lines using

tan(A - B) = (tan A - tan B)/(1 + tan A tan B)

So, using the slopes of the tangent lines, the angle between the lines is the inverse tangent of (3 - .5)/(1 +3(.5)), which gives an angle of 45 degrees. An angle bisector would go through the center of the circle, forming two right triangles, with the radius as one of the sides. Therefore, tan(22.5)=r/13.416, and r = 5.56.

ginger said:
I figured out another way to do it. I found the angle between the two lines using

tan(A - B) = (tan A - tan B)/(1 + tan A tan B)

So, using the slopes of the tangent lines, the angle between the lines is the inverse tangent of (3 - .5)/(1 +3(.5)), which gives an angle of 45 degrees. An angle bisector would go through the center of the circle, forming two right triangles, with the radius as one of the sides. Therefore, tan(22.5)=r/13.416, and r = 5.56.

I was on my way out when I posted my suggestion above, and so I did not actually try it, and it is cumbersome...the method you found is much more straightforward. Good job! (Sun)

We can find two circles satisfying the given requirements. You would have found the other radius by considering the other bisector. I will use an algebraic approach instead.

Given that the point (8,1) is on the circle, we know:

\(\displaystyle (8-h)^2+(1-k)^2=r^2\)

Since the circle is tangent to the line \(\displaystyle y=3x+7\), we may write:

\(\displaystyle (x-h)^2+(3x+7-k)^2=r^2\)

\(\displaystyle (x-h)^2+(3x+7-k)^2=(8-h)^2+(1-k)^2\)

Expand and write in standard quadratic form

\(\displaystyle 10x^2+(42-2h-6k)x+(16h-12k-16)=0\)

and require the discriminant to be zero:

\(\displaystyle (42-2h-6k)^2-4(10)(16h-12k-16)=0\)

\(\displaystyle (21-h-3k)^2-40(4h-3k-4)=0\)

\(\displaystyle h^2+6hk-202h+9k^2-6k+601=0\)

Doing the same with the other line, we eventually find:

\(\displaystyle k=17-2h\)

Now, substituting this into the first equation, we find:

\(\displaystyle h^2-28h+124=0\)

\(\displaystyle h=14\pm6\sqrt{2}\)

Case 1: \(\displaystyle h=14+6\sqrt{2}\)

\(\displaystyle k=-\left(11+12\sqrt{2} \right)\)

\(\displaystyle r=6\left(\sqrt{5}+\sqrt{10} \right)\approx32.390073826009015\)

Plot of lines and resulting circle:

View attachment 1031

Case 2: \(\displaystyle h=14-6\sqrt{2}\)

\(\displaystyle k=12\sqrt{2}-11\)

\(\displaystyle r=6\left(\sqrt{10}-\sqrt{5} \right)\approx5.55725809601154\)

Plot of lines and resulting circle:

View attachment 1032

Attachments

• ginger1.jpg
    ginger1.jpg
    8.5 KB · Views: 62
  • ginger2.jpg
    ginger2.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 55

Related to How to Calculate the Radius of a Circle Tangent to Two Lines?

1. What is a tangent line?

A tangent line is a straight line that touches a circle at only one point, known as the point of tangency. This point lies on the circumference of the circle and the tangent line is perpendicular to the radius of the circle at this point.

2. How is the slope of a tangent line calculated?

The slope of a tangent line can be calculated using the derivative of the circle's equation at the point of tangency. This derivative represents the rate of change of the circle's equation at that specific point, which is equal to the slope of the tangent line.

3. Can a tangent line intersect a circle at more than one point?

No, a tangent line can only intersect a circle at one point. This is because the tangent line is perpendicular to the radius at the point of tangency, and any other point of intersection would require the line to be at a different angle.

4. How are tangent lines and circles used in real life?

Tangent lines and circles are used in various fields such as engineering, physics, and computer graphics. They are used to calculate the direction of motion of objects, find the optimal path for a moving object, and create smooth curves in computer-generated images.

5. Is a tangent line always perpendicular to a circle?

Yes, a tangent line is always perpendicular to a circle at the point of tangency. This is a direct result of the definition of a tangent line, which states that it touches a circle at only one point and is perpendicular to the radius at that point.