How to Calculate the pH of a Buffer Solution

• Thread starter kirsten_2009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Buffer Ph
In summary, to calculate the pH of a buffer solution, use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation, which takes into account the concentration of the weak acid and its conjugate base. For the given problem, you can find the molarities of acetic acid and sodium acetate, add their volumes to get the total volume of solution, and then plug the values into the equation to calculate the pH.
kirsten_2009

Homework Statement

Hi, I really don't get how to calculate the pH of a buffer solution...I mean I know that the pH of a solution is the negative log of the H3O+ concentration but I don't know how to get to that part...here's the problem...and I would appreciate if someone could actually explain it to me rather than just posting the answer. Thanks so much in advance!

Q:// In a beaker mix 20 mL of 0.1 M Acetic Acid and 25 mL of 0.1 M Sodium Acetate. Calculate the pH of this solution.

Q2:// Also, then add 5 mL of 0.1 M NaOH to this buffer and re-calculate the pH.

Homework Equations

I believe it would be pH=-log[H3O+]

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't have much of an idea...help please :)

Physics news on Phys.org
For a buffer solution, you'll usually want to use the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation:
pH = pKa + log([salt]/[weak acid])

where pKa = -log(Ka), [weak acid] is the concentration of the weak acid and [salt] is the concentration of the conjugate base, or salt of the weak acid.

Since you have relatively dilute solutions of the acetic acid and sodium acetate, you can add their volumes to get the total volume of solution. Then you can find the molarities of the acid and salt in the solution and plug them into the equation to get pH.

Related to How to Calculate the pH of a Buffer Solution

1. What is a buffer solution?

A buffer solution is a solution that resists changes in pH when small amounts of acid or base are added. It is composed of a weak acid and its conjugate base, or a weak base and its conjugate acid.

2. How do I calculate the pH of a buffer solution?

The pH of a buffer solution can be calculated using the Henderson-Hasselbalch equation: pH = pKa + log([conjugate base]/[weak acid]). The pKa is the negative logarithm of the acid dissociation constant for the weak acid.

3. What is the ideal pH range for a buffer solution?

The ideal pH range for a buffer solution is within one pH unit of the pKa of the weak acid or base. This ensures that the buffer will effectively resist changes in pH.

4. How do I prepare a buffer solution?

To prepare a buffer solution, you will need to mix the weak acid or base with its conjugate base or acid in a specific ratio. The amount of each component will depend on the desired pH and the concentration of the buffer solution.

5. Can a buffer solution be used to adjust the pH of a solution?

Yes, a buffer solution can be used to adjust the pH of a solution. If the solution is too acidic, a buffer solution with a higher pH can be added. If the solution is too basic, a buffer solution with a lower pH can be added.