How to calculate the path difference in this question

In summary, the speakers S1 and S2, driven by the same amplifier and placed at y=1 and y=-1, vibrate in phase at 600 Hz. A man standing on the x-axis at a large distance from the origin moves parallel to the Y-axis. Using the Pythagorean theorem and considering the man's angular displacement, the angle at which the sound will drop to a minimum for the first time can be approximated as the sine of the angle between the normal to s1 s2 and the radial line to Y.
Ajaroy
1. Homework Statement
Two speakers S1
and S2 derived by the same amplifier and placed at y=1
and y = - 1.The speakers vibrate in phase at 600 Hz. A man stands on the x-axis at a very large distance from the origin and starts moving parallel to the Y - axis. The speed of sound in air is 330ms-1
n0uUniV6yEd93cUC2

AF1QipPuNLxsrxJJA7P97xvzhMWBQ6SCtYvv56G8wsSD

at what angle will the sound drop to a minimum for the first time?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

as minimun occurs at destructive interferenc
Δx = S2Y - S1Y = (2n-1)λ/2

for the first minima Δx = λ/2
but how to calculate Δx in terms of θ ,i an not able to from the geomentry of problem[/B]

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi Ajaroy and welcome to PF.

Make a drawing. The man is moving parallel to the line joining the two speakers. To find Δx formally you need to use the Pythagorean theorem. You also need to consider that he is far from the speakers, so some kind of approximation will be required in terms of his angular displacement from the x-axis.

Ajaroy said:
1. Homework Statement
Two speakers S1
and S2 derived by the same amplifier and placed at y=1
and y = - 1.The speakers vibrate in phase at 600 Hz. A man stands on the x-axis at a very large distance from the origin and starts moving parallel to the Y - axis. The speed of sound in air is 330ms-1
n0uUniV6yEd93cUC2

AF1QipPuNLxsrxJJA7P97xvzhMWBQ6SCtYvv56G8wsSD

at what angle will the sound drop to a minimum for the first time?

drop a normal from s1 on s2 Y ...the angle between s1-s2 line and the normal is say theta then its the angle between the normal to s1 s2
and the radial line to Y...this i am saying as x is very large compared to s1 s2 length.

so theta = Y/x and nearly equal to sin(theta)= (s2Y- s1y) /s1s2 as theta is small.

Likes Ajaroy
drvrm said:
drop a normal from s1 on s2 Y ...the angle between s1-s2 line and the normal is say theta then its the angle between the normal to s1 s2
and the radial line to Y...this i am saying as x is very large compared to s1 s2 length.

so theta = Y/x and nearly equal to sin(theta)= (s2Y- s1y) /s1s2 as theta is small.
drvrm said:

What are X and Y
Als how sin theta = y/x

kuruman said:
Hi Ajaroy and welcome to PF.

Make a drawing. The man is moving parallel to the line joining the two speakers. To find Δx formally you need to use the Pythagorean theorem. You also need to consider that he is far from the speakers, so some kind of approximation will be required in terms of his angular displacement from the x-axis.
I drew a perpendicular from Y to s1 s2line

Ajaroy said:
s2line
Ajaroy said:
I drew a perpendicular from Y to s1 s2line
Then by Pythagoras theorem
OY2+OS12=S1Y2
And
OY2+OS22 =S2Y2

Then by solving
(OS1 +OS2) *2/S2Y+S1Y = DELTA X
What should I do nnex?

Ajaroy said:
What are X and Y
Als how sin theta = y/x
Oh!
Thanks I got it

Likes drvrm

Related to How to calculate the path difference in this question

What is the path difference?

The path difference is the difference in distance that a wave or particle travels between two points. It is used to calculate the phase difference between two waves or the interference pattern of waves.

How do you calculate the path difference in this question?

The path difference can be calculated by finding the difference between the distances traveled by two waves. This can be done using the formula Δx = d sinθ, where Δx is the path difference, d is the distance between the two sources, and θ is the angle between the two waves.

What is the importance of calculating the path difference?

Calculating the path difference is important in understanding the behavior of waves and particles. It can help determine the interference pattern of waves and the phase difference between them, which is crucial in fields such as optics and acoustics.

Are there any specific units for path difference?

Yes, the units for path difference are typically measured in meters (m) or any other unit of length, depending on the context of the question. It is important to ensure that all values used in the path difference calculation are in the same unit of measurement.

What are some common applications of path difference calculations?

Path difference calculations are used in various fields such as optics, acoustics, and radio wave propagation. They are also used in experiments and research related to wave interference, diffraction, and polarization. In addition, path difference is also used in practical applications such as sonar and radar systems.