How to Calculate the Partial Pressure of Propane in a Mixture?

In summary, the partial pressure of propane in the given mixture is 959 mmHg. This is determined by using the ideal gas law and the fact that the mole fraction of propane is equal to 1/2 in a mixture with equal moles of propane and butane.
Daizy5936
I am having the hardest time figuring this one out:

"Calculate the partial pressure of propane in a mixture that contains equal numbers of moles of propane (C3H8) and butane (C4H10) at 20 °C and 1918 mmHg. Give your answer in mmHg"

Can anybody help me out? I'm so lost!

Chemistry news on Phys.org
In general the Total P=P1+P2+P3... where P1,2,3 etc are the pressures of each substance, which can be found using the ideal gas law
P_i=n_iRT/V. RT/V can be replaced by P/n (P is total pressure remember )giving you P_i=n_iP/n=yiP, where yi is the mole fraction of the substance i.
The problem gives you total pressure and says that you have equal amounts of moles of each substance. Therefore mole fraction for each substance is= to 1/2 because you have equal amounts. So P1=.5P=959 mmHg and P2=.5P=959mmHg.

Calculating partial pressure involves using the ideal gas law, which states that the pressure of a gas is equal to the number of moles of the gas multiplied by the gas's molar volume and the temperature in Kelvin. In this case, we are given the temperature and total pressure of the mixture, so we can use the ideal gas law to solve for the partial pressure of propane.

First, we need to find the total number of moles in the mixture. Since we are told that the mixture contains equal numbers of moles of propane and butane, we can assume that there is an equal number of moles of each gas. Therefore, we can calculate the total number of moles by dividing the total pressure (1918 mmHg) by the molar volume at STP (22.4 L/mol):

n = P/VM = (1918 mmHg)(1 atm/760 mmHg)(22.4 L/mol) = 29.68 mol

Next, we need to find the molar fraction of propane in the mixture. This is the ratio of moles of propane to the total moles in the mixture:

Xpropane = npropane/ntotal = 1 mol/29.68 mol = 0.0337

Now, we can use the ideal gas law to solve for the partial pressure of propane:

Ppropane = Xpropane * Ptotal = (0.0337)(1918 mmHg) = 64.6 mmHg

Therefore, the partial pressure of propane in the mixture is 64.6 mmHg.

Related to How to Calculate the Partial Pressure of Propane in a Mixture?

1. What is partial pressure and why is it important in scientific calculations?

Partial pressure is a measure of the pressure exerted by an individual component in a gas mixture. It is important in scientific calculations because it allows us to determine the contribution of each gas to the overall pressure and predict how the gases will behave under different conditions.

2. How do you calculate partial pressure?

To calculate partial pressure, you need to know the mole fraction of the gas in the mixture and the total pressure of the system. Then, you can multiply the mole fraction by the total pressure to determine the partial pressure of the gas.

3. What is the ideal gas law and how does it relate to calculating partial pressure?

The ideal gas law is a fundamental equation in thermodynamics that describes the relationship between pressure, volume, temperature, and number of moles of a gas. It is often used in calculating partial pressure because it allows us to predict the behavior of gases in a mixture under different conditions.

4. Can you calculate partial pressure for liquids and solids?

No, partial pressure is only applicable to gases. In liquids and solids, the molecules are tightly packed and do not behave in the same way as gases, so the concept of partial pressure does not apply.

5. How does changing the temperature or volume affect partial pressure?

According to the ideal gas law, increasing the temperature or decreasing the volume of a gas will result in an increase in its pressure. Therefore, changing the temperature or volume in a gas mixture will also affect the partial pressure of each gas in the mixture.