How to calculate the outer product in GR?

In summary, the Fermi-walker transport law states that the change in dot product along a curve can be evaluated using the product rule, and this results in a scalar product that remains unchanged. The problem of determining which terms belong to which space can be solved by defining ##S## as the outer product of ##u## and ##a##.
Haorong Wu
Homework Statement
Show that the scalar product of two vectors is not altered as they are both Fermi-Walker transported along a curve ##C##
Relevant Equations
If a curve is timelike, ##u## is its tangent vector, and ##a=\nabla_u u=Du/d \tau##, then a vector ##V## is said to be Fermi-Walker transported along ##u## if $$ \nabla_u V=(u \otimes a- a \otimes u)\cdot V .$$
I will post the answer here, part of which I do not follow.

Let the two vectors be ##x## and ## y##. Then the Fermi-walker transport law reads$$\nabla_u x=(u \otimes a -a \otimes u) \cdot x$$ $$\nabla_u y=(u \otimes a- a \otimes u)\cdot y ,$$ where ##u## is the tangent vector to the curve ##c## and ##a=\nabla_u u##. Using the product rule we evaluate the change in the dot product along the curve $$\begin{align} \nabla_u ( x \cdot y)&= (\nabla_u x)\cdot y+ x \cdot(\nabla_u y) \nonumber \\& =(a \cdot x) (u \cdot y) -(a \cdot y) (u \cdot x) +(u \cdot x) (a \cdot y) -(a \cdot x) (u \cdot y) =0 . \nonumber \end{align}$$ The scalar product is unaltered.

I do not follow the outer-product part. I know that I should multiply two terms together if they are in the same space. However, in this problem, I do not know how to determin which term belongs to which space. It seems, sometimes ##x## and ##u## are in the same space, and sometimes ##x## and ##a## are in the same space. I am stuck.

Physics news on Phys.org
By definition, let ##S:= u \otimes a - a \otimes u##, then ##S(\alpha, \beta) = (u \cdot \alpha)(a \cdot \beta) - (a \cdot \alpha)(u \cdot \beta)##

Likes Haorong Wu

Related to How to calculate the outer product in GR?

1. What is the definition of the outer product in general relativity?

The outer product in general relativity is a mathematical operation that combines two vectors to create a tensor. It is also known as the tensor product or dyadic product. The result of the outer product is a tensor that has a higher rank than the original vectors.

2. How do you calculate the outer product of two vectors in GR?

To calculate the outer product of two vectors in GR, you need to multiply each component of one vector by each component of the other vector. The result is a matrix with the same number of rows as the first vector and the same number of columns as the second vector. This matrix represents the tensor resulting from the outer product.

3. What is the significance of the outer product in general relativity?

The outer product is an important mathematical operation in general relativity because it allows for the creation of higher-order tensors. These tensors are essential for describing the curvature of spacetime and the behavior of matter and energy in the universe.

4. Can the outer product be applied to any type of vector in GR?

Yes, the outer product can be applied to any type of vector in GR, including both contravariant and covariant vectors. This is because the outer product operation is independent of the type of vector and only depends on the components of the vectors.

5. Are there any specific rules or properties that apply to the outer product in GR?

Yes, there are several rules and properties that apply to the outer product in GR. For example, the outer product is commutative, meaning that the order of the vectors does not affect the result. Additionally, the outer product is distributive over vector addition, and it follows the same transformation rules as tensors in general relativity.