How to calculate the momentum of Pluto?

In summary, the momentum of Pluto can be calculated using the formula mass * velocity, with the mass being 1.3E22kg. The orbital radius of Pluto is around 5.9 billion km with a period of 248 years, making it easy to determine its velocity. However, due to the eccentricity of Pluto's orbit, its momentum may vary at different points. In terms of momentum conservation, the planet and sun system have conserved linear momentum, angular momentum, and total energy.
ndirishchick
If anyone knows how to calculate the momentum of Pluto it would be great if you could let me know. I am doing a science project and do not understand parts of the project. Thanks!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Classical momentum is just mass * velocity

The orbital radius is around 5.9 billion km, period is 248years so it should be easy to work out velocity.
The mass is 1.3E22kg

mgb_phys said:
Classical momentum is just mass * velocity

The orbital radius is around 5.9 billion km, period is 248years so it should be easy to work out velocity.
The mass is 1.3E22kg

Can we know the exact momentum of Pluto at any point in orbit? It's so eccentric.

pixel01 said:
Can we know the exact momentum of Pluto at any point in orbit? It's so eccentric.
But rather predictably so.
Momentum is conserved and a planet has rather a lot of momentum - as you would know if you have ever tried to stop one with your bare hands.

mgb_phys said:
Momentum is conserved and a planet has rather a lot of momentum - as you would know if you have ever tried to stop one with your bare hands.

I just suspect the momentum of Pluto is not the same around the orbit, it may be quite different. I may have to look back at the Kepler's law.

mgb_phys said:

Angular momentum is more costumary to consider here.

But for linear momentum:
mv is consreved, where v is v_radial + v_tangential.

The linear momentum of a planet (eg. Pluto) is not conserved. The planet follows a curved path!

Conserved quantities are linear momentum of the planet+sun system (tautologically zero in the planet+sun center of mass frame), angular momentum (gravity is a central force) and total energy (gravity is a conservative force).

Related to How to calculate the momentum of Pluto?

1. How is momentum defined?

Momentum is a measure of an object's motion and is defined as the product of its mass and velocity.

2. What is the mass of Pluto?

The mass of Pluto is approximately 1.31 x 10^22 kilograms.

3. How can I calculate the velocity of Pluto?

The velocity of Pluto can be calculated by dividing its distance from the sun by the time it takes to complete one orbit around the sun.

4. What is the formula for calculating momentum?

The formula for calculating momentum is p = m * v, where p is momentum, m is mass, and v is velocity.

5. Can the momentum of Pluto change?

Yes, the momentum of Pluto can change if its mass or velocity changes. For example, if Pluto were to collide with another object, its momentum would change due to a change in velocity.