How to Calculate the Mapping of Points from a Circle to a Tangent?

In summary, in order to map points from a circle to a tangent, the circle must first be split at point B and then mapped to the tangent. To determine which side of the tangent a point should be mapped to, the angle between the radius and the point must be calculated. The formula for arc length can be used to calculate the distance along the circumference of the circle, and this information can be used along with the slope to determine which side of the tangent line to map the point to. However, there may be simpler methods to do this and suggestions are welcome.
onako
Assume you're given a circle with the line AB containing its center O, such that A and B are on the circle (OA=OB=radius). A tangent t is drawn on the point A, and
I should calculate the mapping of certain points (a,b,c,d...) of the circle to the points on the tangent (at, bt, ct, dt, ...) such that the distance Aa (the distance along the circle) is the same as the distance Aat (the distance along the tangent) (and the same for the distances Ab, Ac, Ad). But, here, certain constraint should be considered: those points of the circle (among (a, b, c, d)) that are from one side of the circle from A to B should be placed on one side of the tangent (the nearer), and those from the other side of the circle form A to B should be placed on the other side. Basically, the circle should be split at B, and then mapped to the tangent. I hope this explanation is sufficient enough.

It should be noted that I have information about coordinates of A, B, O, a, b, c, d. I supposed to calculate (at, bt, ct, dt).
For solving this problem, I have two approaches, but I'm not sure how I could make sure they always work correctly.

1) I calculate the equation of the tangent at point A. Then for each point (a, b, c, d) I calculate the distance from A (along the circle), and use these distances for calculating (at, bt, ct, dt...) along the tangent. What I don't know here is how to calculate the distances
from A to (a, b, c, d). The problem is the 'proper side' determination, meaning how should I determine whether the point should be mapped on one side of the tangent or the other. What would be the way to determine this.

2) I calculate the equation of the tangent at point A. Then for each point (a, b, c, d) I calculate the distance from A (along the circle), and use these distances for calculating (at, bt, ct, dt...) along the tangent. To determine the 'proper side' of a given point, I might use the projection of that point to the tangent. But, even with this, how I know 'which side is which'? Perhaps there are much simpler ways to do this.

Any suggestion on how to do this is welcome. In case I was not precise enough, I'll elaborate.
Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Since you already know A and a, you should be able to determine the angle AOa (the angle between the radius AO and radius aO).
Given that angle, you can determine the arc length (the distance along the circumference of the circle from A to a).

Since you know the formula for the line passing through A and B, you should be able to tell if a given point is above, or below that line.

Use that information, along with the slope, to determine "which way to go" on the tangent line.

Thanks.
What would be the formula for arc length given the arc endpoints? (the one that incorporates the angle)
Also, it should always calculate the minimum (or always maximum) distance (just following one side of the circle).

You should be able to determine the angle, given the arc end points.
That angle will give you the arc length.

(Note that an angle of 360 degrees correlates to an arc length equal to the circumference of the circle, whereas an angle of 90 degrees correlates to an arc length of 1/4 the circumference of the circle).

Related to How to Calculate the Mapping of Points from a Circle to a Tangent?

1. What is "Circle to Tangent Mapping"?

Circle to tangent mapping is a mathematical process used to determine the relationship between a circle and a tangent line at a specific point on the circle. It involves finding the slope of the tangent line and using that information to create an equation that describes the tangent line's location on the circle.

2. Why is "Circle to Tangent Mapping" important?

"Circle to Tangent Mapping" is important because it allows us to understand the properties of circles and tangents, which have many real-world applications. For example, it can be used in engineering to design roads and bridges that follow the curvature of a circle, or in physics to calculate the movement of objects along a curved path.

3. How is "Circle to Tangent Mapping" calculated?

To calculate "Circle to Tangent Mapping", we use the formula y = mx + b, where m is the slope of the tangent line and b is the y-intercept. The slope can be found using the derivative of the circle's equation, and the y-intercept can be calculated using the Pythagorean Theorem.

4. What are the applications of "Circle to Tangent Mapping"?

There are many applications of "Circle to Tangent Mapping" in various fields such as physics, engineering, and mathematics. In physics, it can be used to understand the motion of objects in circular paths, and in engineering, it can be used to design structures that follow the curvature of a circle. It is also used in calculus to solve optimization problems.

5. Are there any limitations to "Circle to Tangent Mapping"?

One limitation of "Circle to Tangent Mapping" is that it only applies to circles and tangents. It cannot be used to map other types of curves or lines. Additionally, it assumes that the circle is a perfect mathematical shape, which may not always be the case in real-world situations. It also requires knowledge of derivatives and the Pythagorean Theorem, making it more complex to use for those without a strong mathematical background.