How to calculate the axial components for a helix?

In summary, the conversation discusses the struggle with setting up a question using the relation B = gradient crossed with A and the alternative method of solving it using the Poisson equation. The speaker also suggests focusing on the z-component and clarifying the integral and determining a suitable coordinate system.
needphyshelpalways
Homework Statement
Calculate the axial component of the vector potential A_vector at the center of a helix of 2N turns, of radius R , and of the length 2H, carrying a current I . (Need to calculate only the axial component of the vector potential, and only at the origin.)
Then show that the result (for the axial component of the vector potential at the origin) is the same as that for a single wire of length 2H along the side of the helix that carries a current I . Why is this so?
Relevant Equations
A(r) = (mu/4pi)integral{(J(r)/r}dtau
B = gradient crossed with A
I attempted to use the relation that B = gradient crossed with A; however, I'm strguggling with how to setup the question. I think that alternatively the problem can be solved using the Poisson equation that A(r) = (mu/4pi)integral{(J(r)/r}dtau; however, here to I am struggling with the setup.

Attachments

• Problem 2.pdf
    214.5 KB · Views: 293
Physics news on Phys.org
Hello needy, ##\qquad## :welcome: ##\qquad## !

needphyshelpalways said:
I attempted to use the relation that B = gradient crossed with A
Does that mean you already have A ? Probably not.

You only need the ##z##-component anyway. Can you write the integral a bit clearer ? In particular: what is ##{\mathrm d}\tau## ?
needphyshelpalways said:
I am struggling with the setup
Well, start with making a good choice of your coordinate system. Any ideas ? :rolleyes:

Related to How to calculate the axial components for a helix?

1. What is the formula for calculating the axial component of a helix?

The formula for calculating the axial component of a helix is A = H * tan(α), where A is the axial component, H is the height of the helix, and α is the angle of the helix.

2. How do I determine the height of a helix?

The height of a helix can be determined by measuring the distance from the center of the helix to the top or bottom point of the helix.

3. What is the angle of a helix?

The angle of a helix is the angle formed between the helix and a line perpendicular to the base of the helix. It is typically measured in degrees.

4. Can I use the same formula to calculate the axial components for all types of helices?

Yes, the formula A = H * tan(α) can be used to calculate the axial components for all types of helices, as long as the height and angle are known.

5. What are the units of measurement for the axial component of a helix?

The axial component of a helix is typically measured in the same units as the height of the helix, such as centimeters or inches.