How to Calculate Tension in a Rope for a Drawbridge with a Rusty Hinge?

• Thread starter uchicago2012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, the question asks for the necessary tension in the rope to raise a drawbridge with a mass of 800 kg, given that the hinge is producing a resistance torque of 104 Nm. The student attempts to use Newton's 2nd law of rotational motion and assumes the center of mass of the drawbridge is in the center, but struggles with creating a force diagram and equating the situation to when the bridge is raised. They realize that they may have been going in the wrong direction and ask for suggestions on how to approach the problem.
uchicago2012

Homework Statement

In the figure, the drawbridge has a mass of 800 kg and the hinge is rusty, producing a resistance torque of 104 Nm. What tension in the rope is necessary to raise the bridge?
See Figure 1

Homework Equations

Newton's 2nd law of rotational motion: Torquenet = I * alpha
I = rotational inertia, alpha = rotational acceleration

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm pretty lost on this question. So I said I = (1/2)MR2 for the pulley and if I did it correctly I can find the translational acceleration by
Torquenet = I * alpha
(Torquenet = R * f * sin theta, the tension in the cord, T, is tangent to R so theta = 90 and Torquenet = RT)
RT = (1/2)MR2 * alpha
T = (1/2)MR * alpha
(alpha = a/R, because the cord doesn't slip. Or it doesn't say it does.)
T = (1/2) Ma

But I'm confused where to go from here because I'm having trouble getting a force diagram for the problem. Should I just assume the center of mass of the drawbridge is in the center? But wouldn't that complicate things, because the cord is pulling on the side of the drawbridge? I also don't know how to equate something to the situation when the "bridge is raised," besides the angle being zero and I haven't figured out a use for the angle yet.

Attachments

• Figure 1.jpg
    Figure 1.jpg
    17.6 KB · Views: 1,167
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Actually, I think I may have been going in the totally wrong direction with that. The hinge is producing the torque and above I calculated T, the tension of the rope, as if the pulley was producing the torque.

Anyone have any ideas how to begin with this problem? I'm out of ideas.

Related to How to Calculate Tension in a Rope for a Drawbridge with a Rusty Hinge?

1. What is torque on a drawbridge?

Torque on a drawbridge is the measure of the force that causes the bridge to rotate around a fixed point, known as the fulcrum.

2. How is torque calculated on a drawbridge?

Torque on a drawbridge can be calculated by multiplying the force applied to the bridge by the distance between the force and the fulcrum.

3. What factors affect the torque on a drawbridge?

The factors that affect torque on a drawbridge include the force applied, the distance from the force to the fulcrum, and the angle at which the force is applied.

4. How does the weight of the drawbridge affect torque?

The weight of the drawbridge affects torque by increasing the force acting on the bridge, which in turn increases the torque.

5. Why is understanding torque important for drawbridge design?

Understanding torque is important for drawbridge design because it helps engineers determine the appropriate size and strength of the bridge components, to ensure it can withstand the forces acting on it and operate safely and effectively.