How to Calculate Speed Using Faraday's Law

In summary, using Faraday's Law and the given values of B = 0.50T and R = 2.0, a conducting rail with zero-resistance conducting wires separated by 0.34m will have a speed of 0.69 m/s when pushed with a constant speed, causing an induced current of 0.69A. The equation used was V_induced = -BLv, where V_induced represents the induced emf, B represents the change in magnetic flux, L represents the wire separation distance, and v represents the velocity of the rail.
Laurie01

Homework Statement

A conducting rail in contact with zero-resistance conducting wires is pushed with constant speed, causing an induced current of 0.69A. Using Faraday's Law, calculate the rail's speed if the wires are separated by 0.34m.

B = 0.50T
R = 2.0

Homework Equations

Magnetic Flux = BAcos()

B = Change in Magnetic Flux / Change in Area

Induced Emf = Change in Magnetic Flux / Change in time

The Attempt at a Solution

I am rather confused, because Faraday's Law involves using an AREA, and I do not have the appropriate dimensions in order to solve for the area. Also, I can't find an equation that relates to Faraday's law that includes velocity.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
As the bar moves outward, the area of the loop is increasing, causing a change in magnetic flux. The velocity will determine how fast the area is increasing.

HINT: Can you find a relation for the rate of change of the area in terms of the velocity?

I assume the setup consists of a conductor rod lying on a pair of metal rails and the rod is moving parallel to the rails.

So in this case, the change in magnetic flux would be the area covered by the rod within the confines of the metal rail when it moves over a small time period dt. So, the distance covered would be vdt and the area would then be Lvdt, where L is the wire separation distance. I'm sure you can take it from here.

I am still lost. I don't see how I can use "Lvdt" when there is no variable for distance and I am solving for the velocity. I have two unknown variables in that equation.

G01 -- The bar is positioned perpendicular to the rods, and it is moving inward, causing a decrease in the area of the loop.

By the way, R = 2.0 = a RESISTOR, not the radius. Just thought I'd clear that up. :)

Last edited:
Laurie01 said:
I am still lost. I don't see how I can use "Lvdt" when there is no variable for distance and I am solving for the velocity. I have two unknown variables in that equation.

G01 -- The bar is positioned perpendicular to the rods, and it is moving inward, causing a decrease in the area of the loop.
OK. You know have figured out that this is a Faraday's law problem. So, let's start there:

[tex]V_{induced}=-\frac{d\Phi_m}{dt}[/tex]

Now what is phi? You said that in your first post, therefore:

[tex]V_{induced}=-\frac{d\Phi_m}{dt}=-\frac{d(BA)}{dt}[/tex]

Now, the problem is we don't have v involved in the equation. My question to you is how can we involve v in a formula for the area? If we could do that, we could then plug that formula in for A in the above equation and solve for v, right? Now, can you take it from here? How can we represent A, the area of the loop in terms of v?

HINT: Start with the standard equation for the area of a loop of that shape.

A = Lvdt

Am I getting somewhere?

So now I plug in:

Vinduced = -d(Lvdt) / dt

Now I'm stuck again. There is still no distance traveled by the rail involved in the problem.

Last edited:
Laurie01 said:
A = Lvdt

Am I getting somewhere?

That's it. (Yes, you are getting somewhere.:smile:)

Now, what are you going to do next?

So now I plug in:

Vinduced = -dB(Lvdt) / dt

Factoring out... Vinduced = -dBLv

Now I'm stuck again. There is still no distance traveled by the rail involved in the problem and I don't know Vinduced.

(by the way -- thank you for helping me -- I know I'm totally clueless on this problem!)

Laurie01 said:
So now I plug in:

Vinduced = -dB(Lvdt) / dt

Factoring out... Vinduced = -dBLv

Now I'm stuck again. There is still no distance traveled by the rail involved in the problem and I don't know V induced.

(by the way -- thank you for helping me -- I know I'm totally clueless on this problem!)

OK, well your calculus is not correct, but if you haven't had any calculus, then I guess I can't hold it against you.:smile: Your equation is almost correct. Your final equation for v induced is:

[tex]V_{induced} = -BLv[/tex] (that d is a part of a derivative operator that should not appear in your final line. Have you had calculus? If not, then lot's of what I wrote must be confusing!)

This problem can be done without calculus as well, basically what you are doing is:

[tex]V_{induced} = -\frac{B\Delta A}{\Delta t} = -BLv[/tex]

Correct?

Anyway, now you should be able to solve for v! L is given in the problem, and V induced can be found. How do you find V induced? HINT: What haven't you used yet?

Last edited:

Related to How to Calculate Speed Using Faraday's Law

What is Faraday's Law?

Faraday's Law is a fundamental principle of electromagnetism that explains the relationship between a changing magnetic field and an induced electric field.

How does Faraday's Law apply to rail systems?

In rail systems, Faraday's Law is used to generate electricity from the motion of the train. When a train moves through a magnetic field, it creates a changing magnetic flux, which induces an electric current in the rails.

What is the difference between Faraday's Law and Lenz's Law?

Faraday's Law states that a changing magnetic field induces an electric field, while Lenz's Law states that the induced current will always oppose the change in the magnetic field that caused it.

How is Faraday's Law used in electromagnetic braking?

In electromagnetic braking, Faraday's Law is used to slow down a moving train by creating a magnetic field that opposes the motion of the train. This induces an electric current in the rails, which creates a force that slows down the train.

What are some real-world applications of Faraday's Law in rail systems?

Faraday's Law is used in various applications in rail systems, including regenerative braking, which converts the kinetic energy of the train into electrical energy to be used by other trains or stored for later use. It is also used in railguns, which use electromagnets to propel trains at high speeds.