How to calculate radius of the wheels to overcome the obstacle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of a 4-wheel cart powered by friction drive to carry heavy loads over a speed bump. The main concern is determining the appropriate radius of the wheels to easily overcome the bump. The formulas needed to calculate the wheel radius are unclear, but the focus should be on tread design and motor/gearbox output to prevent slipping. The key factor in determining the wheel radius is the height of the obstacle and the normal force at the contact point.
joonsun4u
Hi to all.
Please help me to clarify this situation:

There is a 4-wheel cart powered by friction drive using the dc motor. The cart will carry heavy stuffs on the top. what radius of wheels will be able to overcome a 1 cm high and 0.7 cm wide and 14 cm long speed bump(like a thin stick)?

For ex. here are some data based on the picture attached.
r1 = 0.0475 inch
w1 = 490 rad/s
w2= don't know.
r2= don't know, r2 is what i am trying to calculate.
mg= (5kg) (9.8)

Which formulas must I use to determine appropriate radius of wheel to overcome the speed bump easily?

Thank you all for help!
how to calculate radius of the wheels to overcome the obstacle?

Attachments

• WHEELS.png
    WHEELS.png
    18.1 KB · Views: 543
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Joonsun.
I don't think that the radius is anywhere near as important as tread design and motor/gearbox output.

I think the problem you want to consider is something like this:
Consider that the point of contact with the obstacle and the wheel is now a pivot point, and you want the motor to supply enough torque to lift the entire cart, using the radius of the wheel as the length of the lever. This only works if the wheel doesn't slip, and the slipping will depend on the normal force at the contact, which will depend on the height of the obstacle and the wheel radius...

Related to How to calculate radius of the wheels to overcome the obstacle?

1. How do I measure the radius of the wheels for an obstacle course?

To calculate the radius of the wheels for an obstacle course, you will need to use the formula: radius = (distance between axles/2) + (height of obstacle/distance between axles). This will give you the minimum radius needed for the wheels to overcome the obstacle.

2. Can I use the same radius for all wheels on my vehicle?

In most cases, it is recommended to use the same radius for all wheels on a vehicle. This will ensure that the vehicle remains balanced and has equal traction while navigating the obstacle course.

3. How do I factor in the weight of the vehicle when calculating wheel radius?

The weight of the vehicle can affect the required wheel radius. Heavier vehicles may require larger wheel radii to overcome obstacles. You can use a weight distribution calculation to determine the ideal wheel radius for your specific vehicle.

4. Is the wheel radius the only factor to consider when designing for an obstacle course?

No, the wheel radius is just one aspect to consider when designing a vehicle for an obstacle course. Other important factors include the vehicle's weight, clearance height, and ground clearance. It is important to consider all of these factors to ensure the vehicle can safely navigate the course.

5. Can I use a smaller wheel radius if I have a high torque motor?

Having a high torque motor can help compensate for a smaller wheel radius, but it is still important to calculate the minimum required radius based on the obstacle course and vehicle weight. Using a smaller wheel radius than necessary can put undue strain on the motor and potentially cause damage.