How to Calculate Partial Pressure of NOCl in a Chemical Reaction?

In summary, partial pressure is the pressure exerted by a single gas in a mixture of gases and can be calculated by multiplying the total pressure by the mole or volume fraction of the gas in question. It is important in understanding the behavior of individual gases in a mixture and is related to Dalton's Law, which states that the total pressure of a gas mixture is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas. Partial pressure can change if there are changes in the total pressure, mole or volume fractions, or the container's temperature or volume.
aaronfue

Homework Statement

I am given the following equation:

2NO (g) + Cl2 (g) [itex]\rightleftharpoons[/itex] 2NOCl (g)

Kp = 6.5×104
PNO = 0.35 atm
PCl2 = 0.10 atm

I need to calculate PNOCl.

Homework Equations

Kp = [itex]\frac{(P_{NOCl})^2}{(P_{NO})^2*(P_{Cl_2})}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I was given Kp = 6.5×104

After plugging in my partial pressures for NO and Cl2 I got:

PNOCl = [itex]\sqrt{(6.5×10^4)*(0.35)^2*(0.10)}[/itex]

Is this the correct way to calculate this?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
That looks good to me!

Related to How to Calculate Partial Pressure of NOCl in a Chemical Reaction?

1. What is partial pressure?

Partial pressure is the pressure exerted by a single gas in a mixture of gases. It is a measure of the concentration of that gas in the mixture.

2. How do you calculate partial pressure?

Partial pressure can be calculated by multiplying the total pressure of the mixture by the mole fraction of the gas in question. Alternatively, it can be calculated by multiplying the total pressure by the volume fraction of the gas in question.

3. Why is partial pressure important in gas mixtures?

Partial pressure is important because it helps us understand the behavior of individual gases in a mixture. It also allows us to predict how the gases will interact and react with each other.

4. How is partial pressure related to Dalton's Law?

Dalton's Law states that the total pressure of a mixture of gases is equal to the sum of the partial pressures of each individual gas. This means that the total pressure is a result of the combined pressures of each gas in the mixture.

5. Can partial pressure change?

Yes, partial pressure can change if the total pressure or the mole or volume fractions of the gases in the mixture change. It can also change if the temperature or volume of the container holding the gas mixture changes.