How to Calculate Object Travel Time: Formula for 402m Distance

That is the formula you need to use to solve the problem that you stated.In summary, to find the time it takes for an object to travel 402m starting at rest and accelerating at 17m/s, use the formula ##t = \sqrt{\frac{2s}{a}}##, where s is the distance travelled and a is the acceleration. This formula is derived from the equation ##s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2## and can be used to solve for t as a function of known variables.
JPaulPhysics
What formula can I use the time it takes an object to travel 402m if it starts at rest and accelerates at 17m/s?

Physics news on Phys.org
##s=ut+\frac{1}{2}at^2##, where

s = distance travelled
u = initial velocity
t = time
a = acceleration

Use the formula for the solution to a quadratic equation to write t as a function of the other, known, variables.

Likes berkeman
Thank you

JPaulPhysics said:
What formula can I use the time it takes an object to travel 402m if it starts at rest and accelerates at 17m/s?

JPaulPhysics said:
Thank you

Welcome to the PF.

What is the context of your question? Is it for schoolwork, or a practical question from some situation? Schoolwork questions need to be posted in the Homework Help section of the PF, and there are rules for posting schoolwork questions there. We're here to help; we just need to treat schoolwork questions in a special way that helps student learn how to learn. :smile:

17m/s is not an acceleration, it is a velocity.

Since u=0, you get t by a square root.

Related to How to Calculate Object Travel Time: Formula for 402m Distance

1. What is the formula for calculating object travel time for a distance of 402m?

The formula for calculating object travel time is time = distance / speed. For a distance of 402m, the formula would be time = 402m / speed.

2. How do I determine the speed of the object?

The speed of the object can be determined by dividing the distance traveled by the time it took to cover that distance. The formula for speed is speed = distance / time. So, if you know the distance and the time taken, you can calculate the speed of the object.

3. Can I use the same formula for any distance?

Yes, the formula for calculating object travel time can be used for any distance as long as the distance is given in the same unit as the speed. For example, if the speed is given in meters per second, the distance should also be in meters.

4. What is the unit of measurement for object travel time?

The unit of measurement for object travel time can be in seconds, minutes, hours, or any other unit of time. This depends on the units used for distance and speed. For example, if the distance is given in meters and the speed is given in meters per second, the time would be in seconds.

5. Can I use this formula for calculating travel time for objects with varying speeds?

Yes, this formula can be used for calculating travel time for objects with varying speeds. However, the speed used in the formula should be the average speed of the object over the given distance. If the speed of the object is changing, you can use the average speed calculated by dividing the total distance by the total time taken.