How to calculate object temperature from line intensities

In summary, the conversation is discussing the possibility of using the ratio between two CO line emissions from an object to determine its temperature. The individual asking the question is willing to assume the object is a black body, but is unsure how to solve for temperature without knowing the peak emission wavelength. The other person suggests fitting a black body distribution over the data, with the more lines available for comparison, the better the fit will be. A link to a webpage discussing molecular spectra is also provided for further information.
ck99

Homework Statement

This isn't really a coursework question, but I thought this might be the best place for it. I have some data on two different CO line emissions from an object. Can I work out the temperature of that object by using the ratio between the intensities of the two lines, and then using something like Wiens law? I am happy to assume that the emitter is a black body, but I don't know how to solve for T except if I know the peak emission wavelength.

Physics news on Phys.org
If you know where the line spectra you have fit into the overall CO spectra ... I imagine you may be able to fit a BB distribution over your data... Of course, the more lines you have the better the fit will be.

http://www.cv.nrao.edu/course/astr534/MolecularSpectra.html

Related to How to calculate object temperature from line intensities

1. How do I determine the object temperature using line intensities?

To calculate the object temperature from line intensities, you will need to use the Planck's Law equation, which relates the energy emitted by an object to its temperature and wavelength. By measuring the intensity of the lines emitted by the object and plugging them into the equation, you can calculate the object's temperature.

2. What factors can affect the accuracy of the temperature calculation?

There are several factors that can affect the accuracy of the temperature calculation from line intensities. These include the quality of the spectrometer used to measure the line intensities, the accuracy of the wavelength calibration, and the presence of any background radiation.

3. Is it possible to calculate the temperature of objects with different types of emission lines?

Yes, it is possible to calculate the temperature of objects with different types of emission lines. However, the calculation may vary depending on the type of lines being measured. For example, if the object is emitting thermal radiation, the calculation will use the Planck's Law equation. If the object is emitting atomic or molecular lines, a different equation may be needed.

4. Can line intensities be used to calculate the temperature of objects in space?

Yes, line intensities can be used to calculate the temperature of objects in space. Scientists use this method to study the temperature of stars, galaxies, and other celestial objects. However, the accuracy of the calculation may be affected by factors such as the distance of the object from Earth and the presence of interstellar dust.

5. Are there any limitations to using line intensities to calculate object temperature?

There are a few limitations to using line intensities to calculate object temperature. One limitation is that the object must be emitting radiation in the form of lines, which may not be the case for all objects. Additionally, the accuracy of the calculation may be affected by factors such as the quality of the data and the assumptions made in the calculation method.