How to Calculate Moles and Mass in a Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate Sample?

• Thread starter Sace Ver
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Copper
In summary, for a sample containing 2.5x1020 formula units of CuSO4•5H2O, the number of moles present would be 0.000415mol and the mass of the sample would be 0.10369g.
Sace Ver

Homework Statement

A sample contains 2.5x1020 formula units of CuSO4•5H2O...
a) calculate the number of moles present in this sample
b) calculate the mass of this sample

N=2.5x1020
M=249.69g/mol

2. Homework Equations

n=N/Na
m=nM

The Attempt at a Solution

a)
n=N/Na
n=2.5x1020/6.02x1023
n=0.000415mol

b)
m=nM
m=(0.000415mol)(249.69g/mol)
m=0.10369g

Am I correct?

Physics news on Phys.org
Yes but that looks correct. I have got through a lifetime without ever hearing the term 'formula units'. Unnecessary IMO and I expect you will forget it, like those formulae you used. All it means is 'number of molecules' right? Which would see you through. I expect this pedantry is because CuSO4.5H2O isn't strictly a molecule but, oof, it's just like one for this purpose.

epenguin said:
Yes but that looks correct. I have got through a lifetime without ever hearing the term 'formula units'. Unnecessary IMO and I expect you will forget it, like those formulae you used. All it means is 'number of molecules' right? Which would see you through. I expect this pedantry is because CuSO4.5H2O isn't strictly a molecule but, oof, it's just like one for this purpose.
There was another part to this question and it asked how many moles of this substance are in this sample? Would that not just be the same as the answer to a)?

Yes

Related to How to Calculate Moles and Mass in a Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate Sample?

1. What is Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate?

Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate is a chemical compound with the formula CuSO4 · 5H2O. It is a blue crystalline solid that is commonly used in various industries, such as agriculture, mining, and manufacturing.

2. What are the properties of Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate?

Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate is a blue crystalline solid with a melting point of 110°C. It is soluble in water and has a slightly acidic pH. It has a strong metallic and bitter taste and is toxic if ingested in large amounts.

3. How is Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate produced?

Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate is typically produced through the reaction of copper oxide or copper metal with sulphuric acid. It can also be obtained through the electrolysis of copper sulphate solution.

4. What are the uses of Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate?

Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate has a variety of uses, including in agriculture as a fertilizer and fungicide, in mining as a flotation agent, in manufacturing as a pigment or catalyst, and in laboratories for various chemical reactions.

5. What precautions should be taken when handling Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate?

When handling Copper Sulphate Pentahydrate, it is important to wear protective equipment, such as gloves and goggles, to avoid direct contact with the skin and eyes. It is also essential to handle it in a well-ventilated area and to avoid ingesting or inhaling the compound.