How to calculate heat flux in a hot water tank

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the heat flux on the bottom plate of a hot water tank. The person is seeking help on finding the correct formula and values to use for their calculation. They are also interested in freeware options for computing the heat flux. The formula for calculating heat flux is q = U A (T-water - T-outside) and the heat transfer coefficient is given by U = 1 / [ 1/hi + twall/kwall + tins/kins + 1/ho ]. Additional assistance is offered in figuring out the values needed for the calculation.
chetanladha
Hi.
I wish to calculate the heat flux on a bottom plate of a hot water tank. Would simply (m*c*t)/area give me the correct results.
Please help?

Physics news on Phys.org
Is the bottom plate sitting on the ground or elevated? Is the tank insulated?

Thank you for your response.
Yes the tank is insulated,and sitting on ground.

Now the upper surface of plate is in contact with the fluid (hot water). How can i find the heat flux?

chetanladha said:
Thank you for your response.
Yes the tank is insulated,and sitting on ground.

Now the upper surface of plate is in contact with the fluid (hot water). How can i find the heat flux?
There are some nice "freeware" packages that will compute this. PM me if you are interested.

If you want to calculate it yourself, do this:

q = U A (T-water - T-outisde)

where,

q = heat loss
U = heat transfer coefficient
A = surface area
T-water = water temperature inside tank
T-outside = outside air temperature.

The heat transfer coefficient is given by:

U = 1 / [ 1/hi + twall/kwall + tins/kins + 1/ho ]

where,

hi = natural convection heat transfer coefficient on inside of tank
twall = tank wall thickness
kwall = tank thermal conductivity
tins = insultation thickness
kins = insulation thermal conductivity
ho = natural convection heat transfer coefficient on outside of tank

Let me know if you need any help figure these values out.

Hello,

To calculate the heat flux in a hot water tank, you would need to use the formula Q/A = k*(dT/dx), where Q is the heat flux, A is the surface area of the bottom plate, k is the thermal conductivity of the material, and dT/dx is the temperature gradient across the bottom plate.

The formula you have mentioned, (m*c*t)/area, is used to calculate the total heat energy stored in the tank, where m is the mass of the water, c is the specific heat capacity, and t is the change in temperature. This is different from calculating the heat flux.

To accurately calculate the heat flux, you would need to know the thermal conductivity of the material, which can vary depending on the type of material and its thickness. You may also need to consider any heat loss due to convection or radiation.

I hope this helps. If you need further assistance, please provide more information about the specific conditions and materials of your hot water tank.

Best,

Related to How to calculate heat flux in a hot water tank

1. How do you calculate heat flux in a hot water tank?

To calculate heat flux in a hot water tank, you need to know the surface area of the tank, the temperature difference between the water and the surroundings, and the thermal conductivity of the tank material. The formula for heat flux is Q = kAΔT, where Q is the heat flux, k is the thermal conductivity, A is the surface area, and ΔT is the temperature difference.

2. What is the thermal conductivity of a hot water tank?

The thermal conductivity of a hot water tank depends on the material it is made of. Common materials used for hot water tanks include stainless steel, copper, and glass-lined steel. The thermal conductivity of these materials can range from 15 W/mK for stainless steel to 400 W/mK for copper.

3. How do you measure the temperature difference in a hot water tank?

To measure the temperature difference in a hot water tank, you can use a thermometer or a temperature sensor. You will need to take the temperature of the water inside the tank and the surrounding air or environment. The difference between these two temperatures will give you the ΔT value needed for the heat flux calculation.

4. Can heat flux in a hot water tank be affected by insulation?

Yes, the insulation of a hot water tank can affect the heat flux. Insulation helps to reduce heat loss from the tank to the surrounding environment, which in turn affects the temperature difference and the heat flux. A well-insulated tank will have a lower heat flux compared to a poorly insulated one.

5. How can you use heat flux calculations to improve the efficiency of a hot water tank?

By understanding the heat flux in a hot water tank, you can make adjustments to improve its efficiency. For example, you can add more insulation to reduce heat loss, or you can use a material with a higher thermal conductivity for faster heat transfer. Additionally, regularly calculating and monitoring the heat flux can help identify any issues or inefficiencies in the tank's performance.