How to Calculate Heat Flow Between Boiling Water and Ice-Water Mixture?

In summary, the question involves a long insulated rod in thermal contact with boiling water and an ice-water mixture. The rod is made up of copper and steel sections and the temperature at the junction is 65.0 C. Using the given values for thermal conductivity, cross-sectional area, and temperature difference, the heat flow is calculated to be 5.39W. This same value is used to calculate the length of the steel section and the total heat flow of the system is found to be 10.8W. However, the correct answer is 5.30W, indicating a discrepancy in the calculations.
yuen47

Homework Statement

yf_Figure_17_28.jpg

A long rod, insulated to prevent heat loss along its sides, is in perfect thermal contact with boiling water (at atmospheric pressure) at one end and with an ice-water mixture at the other. The rod consists of a 1.00m section of copper (with one end in the boiling water) joined end-to-end to a length L_2 of steel (with one end in the ice water). Both sections of the rod have cross-sectional areas of 4.00 cm^2. The temperature of the copper-steel junction is 65.0 C after a steady state has been reached. How much heat per second, H, flows from the boiling water to the ice-water mixture?
k_copper = 385 W/(m*K)
k_steel = 50.2 W/(m*K)

Homework Equations

H = kA(T_H - T_C)/L

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm positive I know how to do this question. The thing is the site keeps rejecting my answer. I first find the heat of the copper end, because all values are known and I get a value for H, which comes to be 5.39W. Because it is at steady state, we know this heat is also equal to the heat of the steel side. if we plug in 5.39W into the equation again, we can solve for L_2 of the steel end, which I have, resulting in a length of 0.242152133m. Now we have can calculate the total heat flow of the system, which is H = H_copper + H_steel. I have done so and resulted in a total heat of 10.8W, which is supposedly wrong. Am I missing anything here? It says the cross sectional area of both rods, A, is 4.00cm^2, which I converted to 0.0004m^2. I can't think of what I'm doing wrong!

Thanks,
Anthony

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
anybody please?

yuen47 said:
anybody please?

Hi Anthony,
you have already solved this problem by calculating the length of the steel bar. You used the total energy of 5.39watts to ascertain the length of steel as apx 242mm. The assumption is that there is no loss of energy across the two materials therefore the answer is 5.30watts!
Hope this helps
Iain

Related to How to Calculate Heat Flow Between Boiling Water and Ice-Water Mixture?

What is thermal conductivity?

Thermal conductivity is a measure of a material's ability to conduct heat. It is the rate at which heat is transferred through a material, per unit of thickness, when there is a temperature difference across the material.

What factors affect thermal conductivity?

The thermal conductivity of a material is affected by its chemical composition, density, and temperature. Generally, materials with higher densities and lower thermal resistances have higher thermal conductivities.

How is thermal conductivity measured?

Thermal conductivity is usually measured in watts per meter-kelvin (W/mK) or BTUs per hour-foot-degrees Fahrenheit (BTU/hr-ft-°F). It can be measured using various techniques such as steady-state or transient methods.

Why is thermal conductivity important?

Thermal conductivity is important in various industries, such as construction, manufacturing, and engineering, as it determines the efficiency of thermal insulation, the rate of heat transfer in materials and systems, and the performance of electronic devices.

How can thermal conductivity be improved?

Thermal conductivity can be improved by using materials with higher thermal conductivities, increasing the density of a material, or by changing the chemical composition of a material. Additionally, thermal conductivity can be enhanced through the use of thermal interface materials or by optimizing the design of a system to maximize heat transfer.