How to calculate/get info about inelastic scattered neutron?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of energy loss for a neutron after an inelastic scattering. The use of online databases and the conservation of energy and momentum equations are mentioned as helpful tools in the calculation process. Additionally, the importance of considering the energy and mass of both the neutron and the target nucleus is emphasized. Specific examples of neutron scattering with different nuclei are also mentioned, and resources for finding information on excitation states and energies of nuclei are provided.
Freemann
I have been researching in the Forum, but I did not see anything conclusive about this: sorry if that was posted anywhere else here, I am new here :smile:.

The energy loss of a neutron after an elastic scattering is a pretty straightforward calculation that can be done by hand. However, I am straggling to get information about how to calculate the same for an inelastic scattering, or an online database where I can find such information.

I would be interested to know which is the resulting energy of a neutron which scatters light nucleai like 19F, 16O or 9Be at MeV level. For instance, 14MeV neutron colliding to 19F: 19F(n,n'), which is the final energy of the collided neutron n'?

Thanks in advance!

Engineering news on Phys.org
Update:

Ok, I think I got it. I found this interesting resource: http://web.utk.edu/~rpevey/NE406/lesson8.htm

It looks like important is to know the first excited state of the nuclei after the scattering with an incident neutron with an energy E. This 1st excited state gives the Q-value, which is used to calculate the energy threshold of the inelastic scatter interaction:

less8a.gif

Knowing Et and E the ratio Δ between them is calculated as:

less8c.gif

And then an energy interval for the inelastically scattered neutron can be calculated:

less8e.gif

less8f.gif

The excitation states of the nuclides can be found here: http://www.nndc.bnl.gov/chart/

So if I did not understand something wrong this looks also pretty straightforward :smile:

Hi there!

Welcome to the forum! It's great that you're doing research on neutron scattering. It can be a complex topic, so it's understandable that you may not have found any conclusive information yet.

To calculate the energy loss of a neutron after an inelastic scattering, you will need to consider the energy and mass of both the neutron and the target nucleus. There are online databases, such as the National Nuclear Data Center, that can provide you with information about the masses and energies of various nuclei. From there, you can use the conservation of energy and momentum equations to calculate the final energy of the scattered neutron.

As for specific examples like 14MeV neutron colliding with 19F, you may need to consult a nuclear physics textbook or a more specialized database for that level of detail.

I hope this helps! Good luck with your research!

Related to How to calculate/get info about inelastic scattered neutron?

1. What is inelastic scattering of neutrons?

Inelastic scattering of neutrons is a process in which a neutron collides with a target material and transfers some of its energy to the target, resulting in the emission of a different energy neutron. This process is important for understanding the structure and dynamics of materials.

2. How do you calculate the energy of an inelastic scattered neutron?

The energy of an inelastic scattered neutron can be calculated using the conservation of energy equation, where the initial energy of the neutron is equal to the final energy of the neutron plus the energy transferred to the target material.

3. What factors affect the inelastic scattering of neutrons?

The inelastic scattering of neutrons is affected by the mass and composition of the target material, as well as the energy and angle of the incident neutron. Additionally, the presence of other particles or magnetic fields can also influence the scattering process.

4. How can I obtain information about inelastic scattered neutrons in a material?

Information about inelastic scattered neutrons can be obtained through experimental techniques, such as neutron scattering experiments, which measure the energy and angle of the scattered neutrons. This data can then be analyzed to determine the structure and dynamics of the material.

5. What are the applications of inelastic scattering of neutrons in scientific research?

Inelastic scattering of neutrons has a wide range of applications in various fields of scientific research. It is commonly used in materials science to study the structure and dynamics of materials, in nuclear physics to investigate the properties of nuclei, and in biophysics to study the structure of biological molecules. It also has applications in energy research, such as in the development of nuclear reactors.