How to calculate final exam grades?

In summary, to calculate your final exam grade, you will need to know your current grade, the weight of the final exam, and the grade you received on the final exam. The weight of the final exam is the percentage it contributes to your overall grade, which can vary. You can use points instead of percentages to calculate your final exam grade. To determine if you passed your final exam, you will need to know the passing grade for the class. This can also vary. If your final exam grade is equal to or higher than the passing grade, then you have passed. Whether or not you can retake the final exam depends on your school's policy and your professor's discretion. It is best to check with your professor or academic advisor
summerwonder
For example:
17/30 for class assessment (worth 30% of final grade)
18/30 for assignment (worth 30% of final grade)
How do you figure out how much you would need for the final exam (worth 40% of final grade)

Thanks!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF;
Hint: what are percentages?

If the final exam were marked out of 40, would that help?

You also need to know if and how the professor curves the grade, and what your goal is for your grade.

Related to How to calculate final exam grades?

1. How do I calculate my final exam grade?

To calculate your final exam grade, you will need to know your current grade in the class, the weight of the final exam, and the grade you received on the final exam. Multiply your current grade by the weight of the final exam and subtract that from 100%. Then, multiply your final exam grade by the weight of the final exam and add that to the previous result. This will give you your final exam grade.

2. What is the weight of the final exam?

The weight of the final exam is the percentage that the final exam contributes to your overall grade in the class. This can vary depending on the class and the professor, so it is important to check the syllabus or ask your professor for this information.

3. Can I use points instead of percentages to calculate my final exam grade?

Yes, you can use points instead of percentages to calculate your final exam grade. Simply divide the total points you earned on the final exam by the total points possible and multiply that by the weight of the final exam. Then, add that to your current grade to get your final exam grade.

4. How do I know if I passed my final exam?

To determine if you passed your final exam, you will need to know the passing grade for the class. This can also vary, so be sure to check your syllabus or ask your professor. Once you know the passing grade, you can compare it to your final exam grade. If your final exam grade is equal to or higher than the passing grade, then you have passed the final exam.

5. Can I retake the final exam if I am not satisfied with my grade?

This will depend on your school's policy and your professor's discretion. Some schools allow students to retake final exams, while others do not. It is important to check with your professor or academic advisor for more information on retaking final exams.