How to calculate displacement from density?

In summary, the conversation discusses the calculation of displacement caused by a powder with a density of 1.06g/cm3 when added to a solvent mixture. The desired concentration is 250mg/mL and the total volume is 10mL. The formula for calculating the necessary amount of oil to be used is m = cV, where c is the concentration in mg/mL and V is the volume in mL. The volume of the filler liquid can be calculated by subtracting the volume of the powder from the total volume.
volpe
If this the wrong section to post this, please know that I am very sorry, but I don't know much about any of the things going on, on here so please bare with me.

Say you got some powder, and say this powder has a density of 1.06g/cm3 (or 1.06g/mL, right?).

Now say you want to put 2500mg of this powder in a solvent mixture (made from cottonseed oil, 0.3mL benzyl alcohol and 1.7mL benzyl benzoate), that you want it to be total of 10ml, with the powder being at a concentration of 250mg/mL

How would one go about calculating the displacement caused by this powder, which will then determine how much oil one would need to use?

Physics news on Phys.org
Simple way of putting it:

Powder has a density of 1.06g/cm3

How much will 1000mg of the powder displace 10ml of water

If the powder is completely insoluble, and does not form any kind of compounds with water, then the resultant volume is a simple sum of the volume of the powder and of the liquid.

Otherwise, you will need the properties of the resultant solution/compound.

Okay let us say the powder is insoluble, how would one go about calculating thing (I need a formula)

Say the concentration is c mg/mL.

Then in volume V ml of the mixture, you will have m = cV mg of the powder.

The density of the powder is ρ mg/mL, so mass m corresponds to volume v = m/ρ mL.

Then the volume of the filler liquid is u = V - v mL.

I am sure you can substitute and simplify the rest. But mind the units!

Related to How to calculate displacement from density?

1. How do I calculate displacement from density?

To calculate displacement from density, you will need to use the formula D = M / V, where D is density, M is mass, and V is volume. In order to use this formula, you will need to know the mass and volume of the object in question.

2. What units should I use for density?

Density can be measured in a variety of units, but the most commonly used units are grams per cubic centimeter (g/cm³) or kilograms per cubic meter (kg/m³). It is important to make sure that the units for mass and volume are consistent with the units for density.

3. How do I find the mass of an object?

The mass of an object can be found by using a scale or balance. If you do not have access to a scale, you can also calculate the mass using the formula M = D x V, where M is mass, D is density, and V is volume.

4. What is the difference between density and displacement?

Density is a measure of how much matter is packed into a given volume, while displacement is a measure of the change in position of an object. Density is often used to calculate displacement because it can tell us how much space an object takes up.

5. Can I use density to determine the weight of an object?

No, density cannot be used to determine the weight of an object. Weight is a measure of the force of gravity acting on an object, while density is a measure of how much matter is packed into a given volume. Weight can be calculated by multiplying mass by the acceleration due to gravity (9.8 m/s²).