How to calculate dangerous heart rates and blood pressures.

• Medical
  • Thread starter TylerH
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Blood Heart
In summary, the conversation discussed the calculation of pulse ranges during exercise and whether it is possible to determine a maximum safe heart rate and blood pressure range. However, there is no consensus on what constitutes a safe heart rate during exercise and it is not clear if a maximum safe heart rate even exists. Some sources suggest that other factors, such as chest pain and sudden changes in heart rate, should be monitored instead. Additionally, there is more understanding of bpm compared to blood pressure.
TylerH
In AP Bio we've been learning about blood pressure and pulse, and how to calculate pulse ranges of exercise. But, I was wondering, if we can calculate that, can we also calculate the maximum safe heart rate to within a reasonable range? Also, is it possible to calculate safe blood pressure ranges?

For the sake of clarity, let safe be defined as anything not unsafe and unsafe to be anything that is of immediate danger.

Biology news on Phys.org
I thought he was referring to safe heart rates during exercise. Curious, I googled it, but couldn't find a consensus. Some sites basically claim that if you go over 95% of your "maximum heart rate" (usually calculated 220bbm - age, sometimes 224 - age for women, some sites multiply age by 0.8 or 0.9) you are at severe risk of heart attack. I found one site that claimed flat out, if you go over 220 - age, you will die (which is very clearly wrong, as I have personally exercised with heart rates higher than this formula predicts many times)

Other sites claim that it is virtually impossible to damage an (otherwise healthy) heart from exercise. Some claim by the virtue that your muscles will stop working, due to lactic acid build up, long before the heart could be damaged. Others, that you will pass out from lack of oxygen to the brain before the heart can be damaged.

Most (but by no means all) of the more reputable looking sites seem to claim that you shouldn't be concerned about a high heart rate during exercise, no matter how high it gets. Instead they suggest watching out for other problems:
  1. Chest pain
  2. Left arm/shoulder pain
  3. Sudden drop in heart rate
  4. Sudden rise in heart rate that doesn't accompany a sudden increase in exercise intensity
  5. Heart rate doesn't return to near resting rate within ten minutes of ending exercise
Not all of them included all of these items, but the top 3 were pretty consistent.

I should add that a few of the reputable looking sites (university health science type sites) fell into the "nothing over 220 - age is safe" category.

Many sites suggest that the "maximum heart rate" isn't the maximum "safe" heart rate, as is commonly assumed, but rather simply the maximum possible, and that there is significant variation within populations, even for a given age. Some suggest that this maximum can be increased through training. Others suggest that this maximum will naturally decrease as your heart becomes stronger (able to pump more blood per stroke => less strokes required).

I guess this was a really long winded way of saying "I don't know, and I'm not sure anyone does".

Evo said:
No, I found that on Wikipedia. I'm pretty sure it's referring to blood pressures that are dangerous in the long term. Which implies they are relatively safe in the short term (otherwise they wouldn't be listed on a long term chart).

NeoDevin said:
I thought he was referring to safe heart rates during exercise. Curious, I googled it, but couldn't find a consensus. Some sites basically claim that if you go over 95% of your "maximum heart rate" (usually calculated 220bbm - age, sometimes 224 - age for women, some sites multiply age by 0.8 or 0.9) you are at severe risk of heart attack. I found one site that claimed flat out, if you go over 220 - age, you will die (which is very clearly wrong, as I have personally exercised with heart rates higher than this formula predicts many times)

Other sites claim that it is virtually impossible to damage an (otherwise healthy) heart from exercise. Some claim by the virtue that your muscles will stop working, due to lactic acid build up, long before the heart could be damaged. Others, that you will pass out from lack of oxygen to the brain before the heart can be damaged.

Most (but by no means all) of the more reputable looking sites seem to claim that you shouldn't be concerned about a high heart rate during exercise, no matter how high it gets. Instead they suggest watching out for other problems:
  1. Chest pain
  2. Left arm/shoulder pain
  3. Sudden drop in heart rate
  4. Sudden rise in heart rate that doesn't accompany a sudden increase in exercise intensity
  5. Heart rate doesn't return to near resting rate within ten minutes of ending exercise
Not all of them included all of these items, but the top 3 were pretty consistent.

I should add that a few of the reputable looking sites (university health science type sites) fell into the "nothing over 220 - age is safe" category.

Many sites suggest that the "maximum heart rate" isn't the maximum "safe" heart rate, as is commonly assumed, but rather simply the maximum possible, and that there is significant variation within populations, even for a given age. Some suggest that this maximum can be increased through training. Others suggest that this maximum will naturally decrease as your heart becomes stronger (able to pump more blood per stroke => less strokes required).

I guess this was a really long winded way of saying "I don't know, and I'm not sure anyone does".
I think bpm is better understood than blood pressure. Here's the Wolfram Alpha page on me: http://www.wolframalpha.com/input/?i=heart+rate,+17yo,+resting+hr=80. I'm guessing that 173 is probably my maximum safe heart rate. But, the only data I can find on blood pressure is long term data.

TylerH said:
I'm guessing that 173 is probably my maximum safe heart rate.

As I mentioned in my previous post: It's not clear that there is any such thing as a "maximum safe heart rate".

I haven't taken the time to peruse any of the original research on the subject. If anyone does, or finds a good summary of it, let me know.

Related to How to calculate dangerous heart rates and blood pressures.

What is the formula for calculating maximum heart rate?

The formula for calculating maximum heart rate is 220 - your age. This is a general estimate and may vary for individuals.

How do I calculate my target heart rate?

To calculate your target heart rate, you can use the Karvonen formula. This formula takes into account your resting heart rate and calculates your target heart rate range based on a percentage of your maximum heart rate. The formula is: Target Heart Rate = ((Max HR - Resting HR) x %Intensity) + Resting HR.

What is considered a dangerous heart rate?

A dangerous heart rate is typically one that is too high or too low for an extended period of time. For adults, a heart rate above 100 beats per minute at rest or below 60 beats per minute at rest can be considered dangerous. However, it is important to consult with a doctor to determine what is considered dangerous for an individual based on their overall health and medical history.

What is a healthy blood pressure range?

A healthy blood pressure range is typically between 90/60 mmHg and 120/80 mmHg. However, this can vary based on an individual's age and overall health. It is important to monitor blood pressure regularly and consult with a doctor if it consistently falls outside of the healthy range.

How do I calculate my blood pressure?

To calculate your blood pressure, you will need a blood pressure cuff and stethoscope. Wrap the cuff around your upper arm and inflate it until it is snug. Then, slowly deflate the cuff while listening for the first and last pulse sounds. The first pulse sound is the systolic pressure and the last pulse sound is the diastolic pressure. Record these numbers to get your blood pressure reading.