How to Calculate Angular Width of a Light Beam Inside a Prism

• Thread starter oooride
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Dispersion
In summary, the conversation is about finding the angular width of a white light beam inside a block of fused quartz. The person is confused and unsure of which formula to use, but is eventually guided to use Snell's law and determine the maximum and minimum diffraction angles for the longest and shortest wavelength in the visible light spectrum. The person thanks the expert for their help.
oooride
I'm confused on this question. I would show my work, but I'm not sure on how to even approach the question. The book labels this problem as straight forward, but I still don't see it and I'm confused on which formula(s) to use..

A narrow white light beam is incident on a block of fused quartz at an angle of 30.0 deg. Find the angular width of the light beam inside the quartz.

I tried to use Snell's law, but don't see how. My book shows no specific formulas under the dispersion and prisms section.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
oooride said:
I'm confused on this question. I would show my work, but I'm not sure on how to even approach the question. The book labels this problem as straight forward, but I still don't see it and I'm confused on which formula(s) to use..

A narrow white light beam is incident on a block of fused quartz at an angle of 30.0 deg. Find the angular width of the light beam inside the quartz.

I tried to use Snell's law, but don't see how. My book shows no specific formulas under the dispersion and prisms section.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

You assume that by "white light", it means that the beam contains the range of frequency/wavelength of the visible light in the ordinary spectrum. So look up the longest and shortest wavelength in the visible light spectrum.

Next, use Snell's law and find the diffraction angle for both those wavelengths. This will be the maximum and minimum diffraction angles made by the white light. This then is the angular width of the beam inside the prisim.

Zz.

Okay, I understand it now. The white light is where I was getting confused..

Thanks for the help! :smile:

Related to How to Calculate Angular Width of a Light Beam Inside a Prism

1. What is dispersion and how does it relate to prisms?

Dispersion is the phenomenon of separating white light into its component colors. Prisms use this phenomenon to bend and separate the different wavelengths of light, creating a rainbow effect.

2. How do prisms work to create dispersion?

Prisms work by refracting, or bending, light as it passes through the prism. Different wavelengths of light are bent at different angles, causing them to separate and form a spectrum of colors.

3. Can dispersion be seen in everyday life?

Yes, dispersion can be seen in everyday life through rainbows, glass prisms, and even in the colors of gemstones. The colors seen in soap bubbles and oil slicks are also a result of dispersion.

4. Are there different types of prisms used for dispersion?

Yes, there are several types of prisms that can be used for dispersion, including equilateral prisms, right angle prisms, and diffraction gratings. Each type has a different angle of deviation, resulting in different levels of dispersion.

5. How is dispersion and prisms used in scientific research?

Dispersion and prisms are used in many scientific fields, such as spectroscopy, astronomy, and optics. They are essential tools for analyzing the composition of materials, studying the properties of light, and creating specialized lenses and filters.