How to Calculate Angle in Double Slit Interference with Given Variables?

In summary, the conversation is about calculating the angle using given variables, wavelength and distance, and different values of n. The relevant equation is d*sin0 = n*Wavelength, but the person needs help in finding the answer in degrees. They have attempted the solution but are unable to get the correct answer. The other person suggests trying it and seeing how they do it. The desired answer is 29 degrees.
Hanga

Homework Statement

We have the wavelength of 550nm and the distance (d) of 0.120mm. I need to calculate the the angle q.
The diffirent parts of this questions corresponds to the diffirent order of n. a) Being n=1 b) n=5 c) n=10

Given variables;
Wavelength = 550nm = 550*10^-9m
d=0.120mm = 0.00012m
n1= 1
n2= 5
n2 = 10

Homework Equations

The relevant equation for this is;

d*sin0 = n*Wavelength
0 = sin((n*Wavelength)/d))

The Attempt at a Solution

I've attempted the solution to this and my real problem is that I have got no idea how to get the answer to Degrees. I'd really like to see someone do this so I can see what you do and how I should think.

Physics news on Phys.org
What answers are you getting? You have the correct formula if you are using the inverse sine function.

Kurdt said:
What answers are you getting? You have the correct formula if you are using the inverse sine function.

The answer I am getting is like 0.004[insert a lot of numbers here]
The answer it's supposed to be is 29degrees.

The question is; How do I get the answer that I got 0.004(something) to degrees?
You try it and we can see how you do it.

The answer is supposed to be 29degrees.

Hmm, going through myself I can get nowhere near the answer. The only thing I can think of is the slit distance should be about 1.1 micrometres to get 29 degrees for the first order.

Related to How to Calculate Angle in Double Slit Interference with Given Variables?

1. What is double slit interference?

Double slit interference is a phenomenon that occurs when light passes through two narrow slits close to each other. The light waves from each slit interact with each other, causing interference patterns to form on a screen behind the slits.

2. What causes double slit interference?

The interference patterns in double slit interference are caused by the interaction of light waves. When light passes through the two slits, the waves interfere with each other, either constructively or destructively, resulting in the characteristic light and dark fringes on the screen.

3. What is the difference between single and double slit interference?

In single slit interference, light from a single slit passes through a barrier and creates a diffraction pattern on a screen. In double slit interference, two narrow slits are used, resulting in an interference pattern rather than a diffraction pattern.

4. Can double slit interference occur with other types of waves besides light?

Yes, double slit interference can occur with other types of waves, such as water waves and sound waves. As long as the waves can pass through the two slits and interfere with each other, double slit interference can occur.

5. What is the practical application of double slit interference?

Double slit interference has been used in various areas of science and technology, such as in optics to measure the wavelength of light, in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles, and in engineering to improve the resolution of electron microscopes.