How to calculate a Vibronic Coupling?

• Thread starter mubashirmansoor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Coupling
In summary, to calculate the vibronic couplings of a system quantitatively, you need to be familar with mathematics related to quantum mechanics such as the Born-Oppenheimer approximation. Additionally, you need to be familiar with spectroscopy and the different types of vibronic coupling.
mubashirmansoor
I am very interested in calculating the vibronic couplings of a particular system quantitatively, but I am very new to Quantum Physics... so I will highly appreciate your guidance on where to start from? What kind of mathematics do I need to learn?

I am quite puzzled because If I have understood correctly, The Born-Oppenheimer approximation of schrodinger eq can't evaluate the vibronic couplings...!

Is it possible to use QED? does it make the problem simpler?

Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
Dear mubashirmansoor,
no, QED certainly doesn't help here.
Once you have calculated the electronic wavefunctions in Born-Oppenheimer approximation of two electronic states i and j as a function of the nuclear coordinates R you can calculate the vibronic coupling.
Let the states be [tex] |i,R\rangle [/tex] and [tex]|j,R\rangle[/tex], the coupling matrix element is given as
[tex] \langle j,R | \partial /\partial R |i, R\rangle [/tex].
This can be done with some quantum chemistry programs like e.g. MOLPRO (at least it was possible some 10 years ago when I last used it).
But probably your main problem is that you don't know what a vibronic coupling is exactly?
A by now classic article on that topic is:
H. Koppel, W. Domcke, L. S. Cederbaum, Multimode Molecular Dynamics Beyond the Born-Oppenheimer Approximation, Advances in Chemical Physics 57, 59 (1984)

DrDu said:
Dear mubashirmansoor,
no, QED certainly doesn't help here.
Once you have calculated the electronic wavefunctions in Born-Oppenheimer approximation of two electronic states i and j as a function of the nuclear coordinates R you can calculate the vibronic coupling.
Let the states be [tex] |i,R\rangle [/tex] and [tex]|j,R\rangle[/tex], the coupling matrix element is given as
[tex] \langle j,R | \partial /\partial R |i, R\rangle [/tex].
This can be done with some quantum chemistry programs like e.g. MOLPRO (at least it was possible some 10 years ago when I last used it).
But probably your main problem is that you don't know what a vibronic coupling is exactly?
A by now classic article on that topic is:
H. Koppel, W. Domcke, L. S. Cederbaum, Multimode Molecular Dynamics Beyond the Born-Oppenheimer Approximation, Advances in Chemical Physics 57, 59 (1984)

Thanks for the reply DrDu,

I am willing to calculate the phonon-electron & Vibronic couplings so that I can figure out some of the changes in the absorption spectra of doped crystals.

I will highly appreciate if you recommend a book or paper which has done such calculations and applied them on calculations of absorption spectra.

Prosperous Regards,

Mubashir.

I learned about vibronic effects in spectra of complexes from Hans Herbert Schmidtke, Quantenchemie. However, it is in German.
You may also try:
I. B. Bersuker, V. Z. Polinger
Vibronic Interactions in Molecules and Crystals
Spinger Series in Chemical Physics, Vol. 49, 1989

DrDu said:
I learned about vibronic effects in spectra of complexes from Hans Herbert Schmidtke, Quantenchemie. However, it is in German.
You may also try:
I. B. Bersuker, V. Z. Polinger
Vibronic Interactions in Molecules and Crystals
Spinger Series in Chemical Physics, Vol. 49, 1989

Thanks a lot :)

Related to How to calculate a Vibronic Coupling?

1. How is vibronic coupling defined?

Vibronic coupling is the interaction between electronic and vibrational energy levels in a molecule. It is the result of changes in the electron distribution caused by nuclear motion, and it can affect the energy and intensity of electronic transitions.

2. What factors influence the magnitude of vibronic coupling?

The magnitude of vibronic coupling is influenced by the strength of the electronic transition, the distance between the nuclei, and the strength of the coupling between the electronic and vibrational motion. It can also be affected by the molecular geometry and the symmetry of the molecule.

3. How is vibronic coupling calculated?

Vibronic coupling can be calculated using different theoretical models, such as the Marcus-Hush theory or the Jahn-Teller theory. These models use quantum mechanics and spectroscopic data to determine the strength and nature of the vibronic coupling in a molecule.

4. What are some applications of vibronic coupling calculations?

Vibronic coupling calculations are used in various fields such as photochemistry, spectroscopy, and materials science. They can help understand and predict the electronic and vibrational properties of molecules, which is essential in the design of new materials and understanding chemical reactions.

5. Are there any software programs available for calculating vibronic coupling?

Yes, there are several software programs available for calculating vibronic coupling, such as Gaussian, ORCA, and MOLPRO. These programs use different computational methods to calculate the vibronic coupling and provide detailed analysis and visualizations of the results.