How to calculate 1st Overtone Frquency

• Thread starter Ben James
  • Start date
In summary, the overtone frequency and wavelength can be calculated using the equations L = lambda/2 * n and v = f * lambda, where n represents the harmonic number. The frequency can be found using the equation f = n/2L.
Ben James
How to I calculate the overtone frequency and the wavelength when I'm given the values to calculate the fundamental frequency of a string?

I've got equations such as:

L=lambda/2 * n, v = f * lambda (Maybe I'm missing one?) I don't know how to use them in this event.

Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
Ben James said:
How to I calculate the overtone frequency and the wavelength when I'm given the values to calculate the fundamental frequency of a string?

I've got equations such as:

L=lambda/2 * n, v = f * lambda (Maybe I'm missing one?) I don't know how to use them in this event.

Any hints?

Do you know what the meaning of the variable [itex]n[/itex] is in the expression relating [itex]L[/itex] and [itex]\lambda[/itex]?

stevendaryl said:
Do you know what the meaning of the variable [itex]n[/itex] is in the expression relating [itex]L[/itex] and [itex]\lambda[/itex]?

Just been looking over it again. I believe it's the harmonic number. Do I get the wavelength by Lamda = L

And I get the frequency by f = n/2L Squareroot(T/mu)?

Ben James said:
Just been looking over it again. I believe it's the harmonic number.

Some people might use the phrase "harmonic number", but there is another common word that starts with "o".

As for your answer, you have two equations involving L and v, and neither one mentions mu or T, so those don't need to appear in your answer.

Related to How to calculate 1st Overtone Frquency

What is the formula for calculating 1st overtone frequency?

The formula for calculating 1st overtone frequency is f1 = 2f0, where f1 is the 1st overtone frequency and f0 is the fundamental frequency.

How do you determine the fundamental frequency?

The fundamental frequency is the lowest frequency of a periodic waveform. It can be determined by finding the inverse of the period of the waveform, or by counting the number of cycles in one second.

What is the relationship between fundamental frequency and 1st overtone frequency?

The 1st overtone frequency is exactly twice the fundamental frequency. This means that the 1st overtone has a wavelength that is half the length of the fundamental wavelength.

Can 1st overtone frequency be calculated for all types of waves?

Yes, the 1st overtone frequency can be calculated for all types of waves, including sound waves, electromagnetic waves, and mechanical waves. As long as the wave is periodic and has a fundamental frequency, the 1st overtone can be calculated.

What is the significance of 1st overtone frequency in wave analysis?

The 1st overtone frequency is important in wave analysis because it can reveal information about the properties of the wave, such as its wavelength and speed. It can also be used to determine the harmonics present in a wave, which can provide insight into the source of the wave.