How to caculate the inverse metric tensor

In summary: I see. I think I know my mistake already. Thanks. for the help. I am new to this, always forget about the symmetric. Many thanks to all the help.
ngkamsengpeter
Given a metric tensor gmn, how to calculate the inverse of it, gmn. For example, the metric
[tex]
g_{\mu \nu }=
\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} f & 0 & 0 & -w \\ 0 & -e^m & 0 &0 \\0 & 0 & -e^m &0\\0 & 0 & 0 & -l \end{array} \right]
[/tex]

From basic understanding, I would think of divided it, that is
[tex]
g^{\mu \nu }=
\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} 1/f & 0 & 0 & -1/w \\ 0 & -e^{-m} & 0 &0 \\0 & 0 & -e^{-m} &0\\0 & 0 & 0 & -1/l \end{array} \right]
[/tex]

But the author gave some different answer, that is
[tex]
g^{\mu \nu }=
\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} \frac{l}{fl+w^2} & 0 & 0 & -\frac{w}{fl+w^2} \\ 0 & -e^{-m} & 0 &0 \\0 & 0 & -e^{-m} &0\\0 & 0 & 0 & -\frac{f}{fl+w^2}\end{array} \right]
[/tex]

So how should I calculate the inverse metric tensor as shown by the author?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
The inverse metric is, like the name suggests, just the inverse matrix.

You should have learned how to calculate inverse matrices in Linear algebra, there are many methods.

The way you are trying, where you just invert the entries only works if the matrix is diagonal, which this one is not.

Matterwave said:
The inverse metric is, like the name suggests, just the inverse matrix.

You should have learned how to calculate inverse matrices in Linear algebra, there are many methods.

The way you are trying, where you just invert the entries only works if the matrix is diagonal, which this one is not.

Well, I thought the same way at first but I have tried find the inverse matrix but the result is different from the given one.
Mathematica give the me the inverse matrix as
[tex]
g^{\mu \nu }=
\left[ \begin{array}{cccc} \frac{1}{f} & 0 & 0 & -\frac{w}{fl} \\ 0 & -e^{-m} & 0 &0 \\0 & 0 & -e^{-m} &0\\0 & 0 & 0 & -\frac{1}{l} \end{array} \right]
[/tex]

That's why I wonder how the author get that result..

Last edited:
Well in the first place you have written the metric tensor incorrectly. It should be symmetric. Also you have either entered it into Mathematica incorrectly, or incorrectly copied down the result. Really, you should be able to invert a simple matrix like this all by yourself!

Bill_K said:
Well in the first place you have written the metric tensor incorrectly. It should be symmetric. Also you have either entered it into Mathematica incorrectly, or incorrectly copied down the result. Really, you should be able to invert a simple matrix like this all by yourself!
Nope. It is correct. I copied the metric tensor and its inverse directly from the Mallett paper. I checked it many times. I copied it correctly. It is from Mallett paper on circulating beam. I don't think it is written wrongly in the paper.

I checked it many times.
That doesn't help if you lack the background. The metric tensor is always symmetric, that's why it is enough that Mallet provides g_03. g_30 = g_03 is implicit.

Ich said:
That doesn't help if you lack the background. The metric tensor is always symmetric, that's why it is enough that Mallet provides g_03. g_30 = g_03 is implicit.
I see. I think I know my mistake already. Thanks. for the help. I am new to this, always forget about the symmetric. Many thanks to all the help.

haha, I can't believe I didn't even notice the non-symmetry...>.>

Related to How to caculate the inverse metric tensor

1. How do you calculate the inverse metric tensor?

The inverse metric tensor is calculated by taking the reciprocal of the determinant of the original metric tensor and multiplying it by the transpose of the original metric tensor.

2. Why is the inverse metric tensor important in physics?

The inverse metric tensor is important in physics because it is used to raise and lower indices in tensor equations, which are essential in describing the geometry of spacetime in general relativity.

3. What is the relationship between the inverse metric tensor and the metric tensor?

The inverse metric tensor is the inverse of the metric tensor. This means that when the two are multiplied together, they produce the identity matrix.

4. How can the inverse metric tensor be used to calculate distances in curved spacetime?

The inverse metric tensor can be used to calculate distances in curved spacetime by plugging in the components of the tensor into the equation for the line element, which gives the infinitesimal distance between two points in spacetime.

5. Is it possible for a metric tensor to not have an inverse?

No, it is not possible for a metric tensor to not have an inverse. The metric tensor must have an inverse in order for it to be used in tensor equations and to describe the geometry of spacetime.