How to build an equation or expression?

In summary, creating any complex mathematical equation or expression involves following the conventions of Order of Operation, also known as PEDMAS or BODMAS, to ensure that the correct result is obtained. These conventions dictate the order in which operations should be performed and allow for a well-defined and consistent approach to building equations and expressions. Without them, explicit indications of operation priority would be necessary, making the process more complicated and prone to error.
pairofstrings
Hello.
I want to be able to create any mathematical equation or expression. So, one thing I want to confirm is that, to create any complex equation or expression, I should make use of Order of Operation - PEDMAS or BODMAS. Correct? The Order of Operation governs the result, and the Order of Operation is the way by which any complex equation or expression is created.

For example:
y = 4x2 + √16 + (x + 2)

The above equation is built by having BODMAS or PEDMAS in mind, because when I try to get the value of 'y' at a value of 'x' (when plotting graph), I could follow the Order of Operation to arrive at a result, i.e, by a well-defined rule - like BODMAS or PEDMAS. Correct?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
I don't understand what you mean by "create any mathematical equation or expression"

phinds said:
I don't understand what you mean by "create any mathematical equation or expression"

In my first post, I have said a statement that y = 4x2 + √16 + (x + 2). This is a mathematical equation. Correct? Is "create" not a correct word to say in this context?

pairofstrings said:
In my first post, I have said a statement that y = 4x2 + √16 + (x + 2). This is a mathematical equation. Correct? Is "create" not a correct word to say in this context?
Yes, but it sounds like you mean you want to develop an algorithm that creates ...

I still do not understand what your goal is. Do you mean that you are just trying to figure out what the correct form is for equations in general?

phinds said:
Yes, but it sounds like you mean you want to develop an algorithm that creates ...
Okay. I think, the correct word has to be 'build'. Correct?
phinds said:
I still do not understand what your goal is. Do you mean that you are just trying to figure out what the correct form is for equations in general?
I am not able to understand - why do I need to know if an equation has a correct form or not - an equation or expression can be anything, just like music - a thought. Correct? Why should an equation or expression have correct form? What is the meaning of 'correct form'? One thing that comes to my mind is 'generics'. Is this what 'correct form' mean?

I want to confirm whether my approach is correct, to build any equation or expression - the approach is to conform to PEDMAS or BODMAS. So, do I have a correct approach? Please let me know.

Last edited:
Yes, use the rules of operator priority. Using the rules let's everyone know what order the operations should be done in. When in doubt, use parentheses. Don't use them all the time because there will be a clutter of parentheses, but use them when you think there may be some doubt about the order of the operations.

Programmers use parentheses extensively and about the only time we don't is when the expression is simply +, -, *, and / operations all other operators are suspect and we are never sure of the precedence from memory (ie there are variations between operator meaning and precedence that can inject a bug if you forget which one you're using).

Likes FactChecker and pairofstrings
pairofstrings said:
the Order of Operation is the way by which any complex equation or expression is created
The rules for Order of Operation governs how to take a expression that you are given and determine how to evaluate it. In some contexts this is referred to as parsing the expression. The later term comes from the fact that "parsing" amounts to splitting something up into parts.

Generally speaking, parsing something to determine what it means is more difficult than starting with the meaning and constructing an expression that matches that meaning.

If you want to add 2, 2 and 3, you can write 2+2+3. But addition is normally understood as a binary operation. We have three numbers here. Did you mean to take 2+2 and add 3 to that? Or did you mean to take 2+3 and that to 2?

Are you asking about constructing expressions or about parsing expressions?

Likes phinds
pairofstrings said:
Hello.
I want to be able to create any mathematical equation or expression. So, one thing I want to confirm is that, to create any complex equation or expression, I should make use of Order of Operation - PEDMAS or BODMAS. Correct? The Order of Operation governs the result
PEDMAS and BODMAS (synonomous acronyms) are conventions by which any two people who are cognizant of these conventions arrive at the same value for some expression.
pairofstrings said:
, and the Order of Operation is the way by which any complex equation or expression is created.

For example:
y = 4x2 + √16 + (x + 2)
The above could be simplified to ##y = 4x^2 + 4 + x + 2##, which can be simplified further to ##y = 4x^2 + x + 6##. No parentheses are needed.
PEDMAS dictates that we raise x, not 4x, to the power 2, and that we multiply ##x^2## by 4 rather than, say, multiply ##x^2 + x + 6## by 4.
pairofstrings said:
The above equation is built by having BODMAS or PEDMAS in mind, because when I try to get the value of 'y' at a value of 'x' (when plotting graph), I could follow the Order of Operation to arrive at a result, i.e, by a well-defined rule - like BODMAS or PEDMAS.
Without these conventions, we would have to explicitly indicate which operations should be performed first. Without PEDMAS (or BODMAS), your equation would need to be ##y = ((4 \cdot (x^2)) + x) + 6##.

Likes FactChecker
Small technical comment:
Mark44 said:
Without PEDMAS (or BODMAS), your equation would need to be ##y = ((4 \cdot (x^2)) + x) + 6##.
As ##((4 \cdot (x^2)) + x) + 6 = (4 \cdot (x^2)) + (x + 6)##, the outermost bracket could be dropped: ##(4 \cdot (x^2)) + x + 6##
This uses the associativity of addition.

jbriggs444 said:
Are you asking about constructing expressions or about parsing expressions?

I am talking about both Parsing Expressions and Constructing Expressions.
Okay, so, 'parsing' is done to understand how an expression has to be evaluated.

Mark44 said:
Without these conventions, we would have to explicitly indicate which operations should be performed first. Without PEDMAS (or BODMAS), your equation would need to be y = ##((4⋅(x2))+x)+6y = ((4 \cdot (x^2)) + x) + 6##.
mfb said:
Small technical comment:
As ##((4 \cdot (x^2)) + x) + 6 = (4 \cdot (x^2)) + (x + 6)##, the outermost bracket could be dropped: ##(4 \cdot (x^2)) + x + 6##
This uses the associativity of addition.

Please help me understand this, I am confused now.
I thought, the above equations are the result of applying PEDMAS.

Last edited:
They are not the result of applying PEDMAS. That would reverse the logic.
You apply PEDMAS to read these expressions.

Where does the expression come from? Someone made it up. Why exactly this expression? We don't know. And it is just an example here anyway.

mfb said:
You apply PEDMAS to read these expressions.
I think that, whether I am reading an expression or writing an expression, the expression has to follow PEDMAS - to make sense and that everyone understands it, and this is how I do it: y = ##((4 \cdot (x^2)) + x) + 6##. Correct? PEDMAS is a rule that governs how to evaluate an expression. No?

Last edited:
pairofstrings said:
the expression has to follow PEDMAS
You can take every expression and evaluate it using PEDMAS (assuming you don't have things like unpaired brackets or other wrong syntax.
It is just a rule how to read things. Like "read from left to right" for English.

mfb said:
You can take every expression and evaluate it using PEDMAS (assuming you don't have things like unpaired brackets or other wrong syntax).

pairofstrings said:
y = 4x2 + √16 + (x + 2)
Okay, in the above equation, it is implicitly understood that 4 has to be multiplied by x2 and not with the other terms of the equation? In the same manner the rest of the terms in the equation are understood and I do not need to explicitly state the details in the form of parenthesis?

pairofstrings said:
Okay, in the above equation, it is implicitly understood that 4 has to be multiplied by x2 and not with the other terms of the equation?
PEDMAS tells you that.
In the same manner the rest of the terms in the equation are understood and I do not need to explicitly state the details in the form of parenthesis?
Right.

pairofstrings said:
y = 4x2 + √16 + (x + 2)
pairofstrings said:
Okay, in the above equation, it is implicitly understood that 4 has to be multiplied by x2 and not with the other terms of the equation? In the same manner the rest of the terms in the equation are understood and I do not need to explicitly state the details in the form of parenthesis?
It's not clear to me, nor do I think it's clear to the others responding here why you are asking these questions. The order of operations dictated by PEDMAS/BODMAS are conventions we use when we want to communicate some algebraic expression or equation. Someone long ago decided that for an expression such as ##4 \cdot 2 + 5##, an answer of 13 was more reasonable than an answer of 40. @mfb's additional example of reading from left-to-right (in English and many other languages) but right-to-left in some other languages are likewise just conventions.

So what are you really asking about?

Mark44 said:
... what are you really asking about?
I say, thanks for the answers. I now know something basic in mathematics.

Related to How to build an equation or expression?

1. How do I know what variables to use in my equation?

The variables you use in your equation should represent the quantities that are involved in the problem you are trying to solve. Identify the important factors or values that are given and needed in the problem, and assign a variable to each one.

2. What are the steps to building an equation?

The steps to building an equation depend on the type of problem you are trying to solve. Generally, you will need to identify the variables, determine the relationship between them, and then write the equation using mathematical operations such as addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division.

3. How do I ensure my equation or expression is correct?

One way to ensure the correctness of your equation or expression is to check that it follows the rules of algebra. This includes making sure that each term on both sides of the equation is equal and that you have applied the correct operations to each term. You can also plug in values for the variables to see if the equation gives the expected result.

4. Can I use any mathematical symbols in my equation?

In most cases, you can use any mathematical symbols that are commonly used in equations, such as +, -, x, /, and =. However, if you are solving a more complex problem or working within a specific field of study, there may be specific symbols or notations that are commonly used and should be followed.

5. How do I simplify my equation or expression?

Simplifying an equation or expression involves combining like terms, using the distributive property, and applying the rules of algebra to reduce the equation to its simplest form. This can help make the equation easier to solve and understand. You can also use algebraic properties to manipulate the equation and make it simpler.