How to Build a Tennis Ball Launcher for Science Games Day?

• Thread starter Osiris_
  • Start date
Vf3aDlqvevMIn summary, a year 10 student participated in a Science Games Day competition which required them to build a tennis ball launcher that could launch over 10m and 1.5m in height. The student is seeking help with designing a launcher and has provided a link to a document with some options. They also mention a unique option of a ski jump but are unsure if it meets the size limitations. They have also considered using a device from a video they found online.
Osiris_
Hey guys, I am a year 10 student and I took part in a competition called the Science Games Day...One of the event stated that I need to build a tennis ball launcher that can launch over 10m and 1.5m in height...

There is also a lot of restrictions.

Can anyone help me with this like giving me a design that is good.I being dreaming to win this competition?

Thank you

The details are here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1RPpy1KEkt6u7E5w5DwLjf4KFQAWg3Yl2e688IaEMhgY/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
We can't design it for you.

However, the document link shows several designs on the last graphic:

1) trebuchet

2) air cannon

3) slingshot

Not mentioned is a ski jump that would be unique but it might exceed the 1x1x1m size limitation.

You could also search online to see some examples and maybe search images too.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply jedishrfu...Can I use the http://www.tcnj.edu/~jones37/fat.html as shown in the video below... I did some research on it and they said it is the most accurate and long distance

Video:

Last edited by a moderator:

Related to How to Build a Tennis Ball Launcher for Science Games Day?

1. What is a science (physics) competition?

A science (physics) competition is an event where individuals or teams compete against each other to showcase their knowledge and skills in various areas of physics. These competitions often involve solving complex problems, conducting experiments, and presenting research or projects.

2. Who can participate in a science (physics) competition?

Generally, anyone with an interest and understanding of physics can participate in a science competition. These competitions are usually open to students at all levels, from elementary school to university, as well as professionals in the field of physics.

3. What are the benefits of participating in a science (physics) competition?

Participating in a science competition can have numerous benefits, such as developing critical thinking and problem-solving skills, improving knowledge and understanding of physics concepts, and gaining experience in teamwork and communication. It can also provide opportunities for networking and recognition from experts in the field.

4. How can I prepare for a science (physics) competition?

To prepare for a science competition, it is important to have a strong understanding of physics concepts and principles. It can also be helpful to practice solving problems and conducting experiments in a timed setting. Additionally, familiarizing oneself with the competition rules and format can also aid in preparation.

5. What types of competitions are available in the field of physics?

There are various types of competitions available in the field of physics, including traditional problem-solving competitions, research-based competitions, and design/build competitions. There are also different levels of competition, such as local, regional, national, and international. Some competitions may focus on a specific area of physics, such as astrophysics or engineering, while others may cover a broader range of topics.