How To Build A Simple Particle Accelerator

In summary, the best way to create a small, low voltage particle accelerator is to first learn classical electrodynamics, special relativity, and basic particle physics. This will help you understand the principles behind particle accelerators and how to build one safely.
ThomasSatt
Hello, all. I've heard of a few renowned scientists having build small particle accelerators in their garages as teenagers, and I've wondered how I could do the same. Obviously, I'm not looking for anything LHC-scale, but rather a few feet in circumference. I've seen similar projects on the internet, but never stating how to build it, or where to start. So how would I go about creating a small, low voltage particle accelerator? How would I create the vacuum? How would I capture the starting hadrons? How would I accelerate them? How would I observe them? How would I collide them with something else? I realize that this is a very complicated topic, but I am very interesting in pursuing it. Thank you very much in advance.

Likes Al-fawaz Adeite
Physics news on Phys.org
You start by learning classical electrodynamics, special relativity, and some basic particle physics. Once you understand these subjects, most of the questions you have will clear themselves. Until then, giving you any practical advice would only help you injure yourself.

Likes Al-fawaz Adeite
ThomasSatt, Welcome to Physics Forums!

Using the Google search terms “how to make a small particle accelerator” I found these two threads from here on Physics Forums. Also, there are lots more additional sites you can visit.

From Apr24-06
how can I make a particle accelerator?
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=118622

From Sep21-11
I'm looking to build a small particle accelerator for a science fair
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=532391

Bobbywhy neglected to mention that both of those threads were locked because this is difficult and dangerous, especially if one does not have the proper background.

Hello,

Building a particle accelerator, even a small one, is a complex and challenging task. It requires a deep understanding of physics, engineering, and advanced technology. I would highly recommend seeking guidance and supervision from experienced professionals in this field.

That being said, here are some general steps to consider when building a simple particle accelerator:

1. Research and Planning: Before starting any construction, it is essential to conduct thorough research and planning. This includes understanding the principles of particle accelerators, the required components, and safety measures.

2. Design and Construction: Once you have a solid understanding of the basics, you can start designing your accelerator. This includes selecting the type of accelerator (e.g., linear or circular), choosing the appropriate materials, and constructing the necessary components.

3. Power Supply: A particle accelerator requires a high amount of energy to operate. You will need to source a reliable power supply and ensure proper safety measures are in place.

4. Vacuum Chamber: A vacuum chamber is essential for creating a low-pressure environment necessary for particle acceleration. It is typically made of stainless steel and requires precise sealing to maintain the vacuum.

5. Particle Source: To create particles, you will need a particle source, such as a radioactive material or a gas ion source. The particles are then injected into the accelerator.

6. Acceleration: The particles are then accelerated using an electric field. The strength of the field and the length of the accelerator determine the particles' final energy.

7. Observation and Detection: To observe and detect the particles, you will need specialized equipment such as a detector or a scintillation screen. These devices can measure the particles' energy, trajectory, and interactions.

8. Collision: If you want to collide particles with other particles or targets, you will need to design and install a collision chamber and a target.

Again, I strongly recommend seeking professional guidance and supervision before attempting to build a particle accelerator. It is a complex and potentially dangerous project that requires extensive knowledge and expertise. I wish you all the best in your pursuit of this fascinating field of study.

Best regards,

Related to How To Build A Simple Particle Accelerator

1. What materials do I need to build a simple particle accelerator?

To build a simple particle accelerator, you will need a vacuum chamber, a particle source (such as a cathode ray tube or radioactive material), an electromagnet, a high voltage power supply, and a detector to measure the particles.

2. How does a particle accelerator work?

A particle accelerator works by using electromagnetic fields to accelerate charged particles, such as electrons or protons, to high speeds. These particles are then directed into a vacuum chamber and guided by magnets along a circular path, gaining energy with each revolution. The particles are then collided with a target, producing new particles for study.

3. Can I build a particle accelerator at home?

While it is possible to build a simple particle accelerator at home, it is not recommended due to the potential safety hazards involved. Particle accelerators produce high levels of radiation and require specialized equipment and knowledge to operate safely. It is best to work in a professional or educational setting under the supervision of trained experts.

4. What can I study with a simple particle accelerator?

A simple particle accelerator can be used to study the properties of subatomic particles, such as their mass and charge. It can also be used to create and study new particles, such as mesons and baryons. Additionally, particle accelerators are used in medical and industrial applications, such as cancer treatment and materials testing.

5. How much does it cost to build a simple particle accelerator?

The cost of building a simple particle accelerator can vary greatly depending on the materials and equipment used. It is possible to build a basic accelerator for a few hundred dollars, but more advanced and powerful accelerators can cost thousands or even millions of dollars. It is important to also consider the ongoing maintenance and operational costs of a particle accelerator when budgeting for a project.