How to build a good voltage regulator

In summary, the speaker wants to create a voltage regulator with a pot that can go from 0V to 1V using either a 1.5 AA battery or a 12V car battery. They also want to replace the oxygen sensor in a computer controlled car with a pot on the dashboard to adjust the fuel mix while driving. The LM317 is suggested as a simple solution for voltage regulation, with the option of using a negative voltage reference for an output of 0V to 1V.
John1397
I want to make a .00 to 1.00 volt dc voltage regulator with a pot that goes full circle like 0 volt way to left and 1 volt way to the right I can either power this from a 1.5 AA battery or 12 volt car battery how is the best way to go about and what components would be needed? What I am trying to accomplish is I want to replace the oxygen sensor with a pot on the dashboard in a computer controlled car so when I am driving down the road at full speed I be able to lean out my fuel mix and when driving in the city I can make it richer the oxygen sensor will be disconnected permanently and power will come from the variable power supply.

John

Engineering news on Phys.org
Not sure if you're going to be able to do that. Oxygen sensors work by charge balancing. The voltage output is a side-effect from that. Your ECU may not like a raw voltage being fed into it because the charge balancing circuits are not going to behave properly.

The LM317 is a simple solution for voltage regulation.

You can buy it on Digikey. http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/LM317LZX/LM317LZXCT-ND/3042640

If you look in the application notes of the data sheet you'll see an example design that gives you an adjustable output from 0V to 30V. Notice that it requires a negative voltage reference for the output to go all the way down to 0V. You can get a negatvie voltage reference here: http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/MC79L05ACLPR/296-31456-1-ND/3504857. All you have to do is change component values to change it from 0-30V to 0-1V.

Related to How to build a good voltage regulator

1. What is a voltage regulator and why is it important?

A voltage regulator is an electronic circuit that maintains a constant output voltage regardless of changes in input voltage or load. It is important because many electronic devices require a specific voltage to function properly, and without a voltage regulator, the voltage may fluctuate and damage the device.

2. What are the key components of a voltage regulator?

The key components of a voltage regulator include a reference voltage, error amplifier, feedback loop, and pass element. The reference voltage sets the desired output voltage, the error amplifier compares the output voltage to the reference voltage and adjusts the pass element to maintain the desired voltage, and the feedback loop provides stability to the circuit.

3. How do I choose the right voltage regulator for my project?

When choosing a voltage regulator, consider the input and output voltage requirements, the maximum current and power requirements, and the desired level of regulation. You may also need to consider other factors such as cost, size, and efficiency.

4. What are the most common types of voltage regulators?

The most common types of voltage regulators are linear regulators and switching regulators. Linear regulators are simple and inexpensive, but they are less efficient and can only handle small voltage differences. Switching regulators are more complex and expensive, but they are highly efficient and can handle larger voltage differences.

5. How can I test and troubleshoot my voltage regulator?

To test a voltage regulator, you can use a multimeter to measure the output voltage and compare it to the desired output voltage. If the output voltage is significantly different, the regulator may be faulty. To troubleshoot, you can check for loose connections, damaged components, or incorrect wiring. You may also need to adjust the reference voltage or replace the regulator if it is damaged.