How to build a circuit for an electrochemical to extract different metals

In summary, the individual is seeking to build an electrochemical cell for filtering waste water and recovering specific metals such as gold, silver, and copper. They want the cell to be selective based on the metals' positions in the electrochemical series and plan to start at low voltages and gradually increase to higher voltages. Suggestions were given to research the electrochemical potentials for each desired metal and to separate the lowest voltage constituent first before moving onto the next. They were advised to focus on chemistry rather than electrical aspects.
gedfire
Hello All,

I am trying to build what is essentially an electrochemical cell which I will use to filter waste water and try to recover gold silver and copper among other metals on a High Surface Area Cathode like Carbon.I want this electronic filter to be selective about the metals recovered based on their positions in the electrochemical series. How could I go about that? I was thinking I could start at low voltages first eg: 0.5v then the next cell would have maybe 0.9 v and the next 1.3 v then 2v in that order.

Any suggestions as to the circuit needed parts operating principles? is it possible?

Gary

Last edited:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Yes you can do it selectively based on voltage. What voltage? You need to look up the electrochemical potential for each chemical reaction you need.

Then separate lowest voltage constituent first, then pass the solution to the next highest voltage, and so on.

So you'll have to do a fair bit of chemistry homework, not electrical.

Related to How to build a circuit for an electrochemical to extract different metals

1. How do I determine the materials needed for building an electrochemical circuit for metal extraction?

The materials needed for building an electrochemical circuit for metal extraction include a power source, electrodes, a conductive solution, and a container to hold the solution and electrodes. The specific materials needed will depend on the type of metal being extracted and the desired method of extraction.

2. What safety precautions should I take when building an electrochemical circuit for metal extraction?

When building an electrochemical circuit, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and goggles. The power source should be turned off when not in use to avoid accidental shocks. Care should also be taken when handling the conductive solution and any chemicals used in the extraction process.

3. Can I use any type of power source for an electrochemical circuit for metal extraction?

The type of power source used will depend on the specific method of extraction. For example, a direct current (DC) power source is typically used for electrolysis while an alternating current (AC) power source may be used for electrowinning. It is important to research and determine the appropriate power source for your specific extraction process.

4. How do I know if my electrochemical circuit is working correctly?

The easiest way to determine if your electrochemical circuit is working correctly is to measure the voltage and current. The voltage should be within the desired range for your specific extraction process and the current should be stable. If the voltage and current are not within the desired range, there may be an issue with the circuit or the materials being used.

5. Are there any alternative methods for metal extraction besides using an electrochemical circuit?

Yes, there are other methods for metal extraction such as smelting and leaching. However, these methods may be more complex and may require specialized equipment. Electrochemical extraction is often a more efficient and cost-effective method for metal extraction, especially for smaller scale operations.