How to Build a Cart Using Household Materials for a Physics Project

• Thread starter Bologna
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Cart
In summary, the homework task is to build a small cart using materials found around the house. The cart must be within certain size and weight limits, and the wheels must be made from something that has never been used as a wheel before. The student is considering using wood for the body and CDs for the wheels, but is also seeking suggestions for alternative materials. The main portion of the grade is based on how far the cart will go, with creativity only accounting for 10%.
Bologna

Homework Statement

I must build a cart that is no more than 30cm long, 20 cm wide, and 20 cm tall. The maximum weight of the cart is 5 Newtons or a mass of 500 grams. I have to use materials found around the house. The wheels must be made of something that has never been used as a wheel before. The cart must have at least 2 wheels.

It will be rolled off a ramp, can't push it.

I'm wanted to know what the best idea would be to make this, my Physics teacher won't give out any hints. I figured someone on here would know what to make it out of.

Homework Equations

None

The Attempt at a Solution

I could use wood for the body and cd's for the wheels?

Thanks,
Bologna

Physics news on Phys.org
Bologna said:
The wheels must be made of something that has never been used as a wheel before.

I could use wood for the body and cd's for the wheels?

You can expect to see many of your classmates with CDs for wheels. It will work, but how much of the grade is for uniqueness? Look around the house for round things and cylindrical things that can be cut into disks. Game pieces, curtain rods, dowels, etc. Don't think of it as a task, have fun with it.

Chi Meson said:
You can expect to see many of your classmates with CDs for wheels. It will work, but how much of the grade is for uniqueness? Look around the house for round things and cylindrical things that can be cut into disks. Game pieces, curtain rods, dowels, etc. Don't think of it as a task, have fun with it.

The main portion of the grade is how far the cart will go.

Creativeness is only worth 10%

So nobody can help me out here?

Anyone?

Related to How to Build a Cart Using Household Materials for a Physics Project

What materials are needed to make the best cart?

The materials needed to make the best cart will depend on the intended use and weight capacity. However, some common materials include wood, metal, or plastic for the frame, wheels, axles, and screws or bolts for assembly.

What design should I use for the best cart?

The best design for a cart will also depend on its intended use. Generally, a sturdy and stable design with evenly distributed weight will make for the best cart. Consider factors such as wheel size, wheel placement, and handle length for optimal performance.

How can I make sure my cart is durable?

To ensure durability, it is important to use high-quality materials and proper construction techniques. Reinforcing the joints and using strong fasteners can also help increase the longevity of the cart. Additionally, regular maintenance and repairs can help extend the life of the cart.

What safety precautions should I take when making a cart?

When making a cart, it is important to wear protective gear such as gloves and safety glasses. Be mindful of sharp edges and use caution when handling power tools. Ensure that the cart is stable and balanced to prevent accidents.

How can I improve the functionality of my cart?

To improve the functionality of a cart, consider adding features such as adjustable handles, removable parts, or additional storage compartments. It is also helpful to test and make adjustments as needed to ensure the cart meets the desired purpose and user needs.