How to build a cart that moves from suspended mass

In summary, the person is seeking help for a Physics project in which they must design a car that moves in a forward direction using a suspended mass as the only source of energy. They have considered using a pole with a pulley, but are looking for other ideas to increase speed and distance. They also suggest using an elastic or rubber string on the axle for better grip.
DylanMX
I have a project to do for my Physics class in grade 11. I have to design and build a car that will move in a forward direction. The source of energy for this car must be a suspended mass. The mass can be anything that is located anywhere. The car cannot have any other source of energy. It also must go as far and as fast as possible. Please help me with some ideas. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
What ideas have you come up with so far?

If you put a pole on top of it with a pulley or some such, the weight will have a large distance to fall. If wound around a small axle with large wheels, it will travel pretty far assuming:

1. It has enough force to accelerate
2. the combination of acceleration and tallness doesn't cause it to tip over.

That is somewhat the same idea i had
I was just wondering if there was a faster way to get more speed cause i was afraid the car wouldn't move too far.
Would it be better to use some sort of elastic or rubber string of some sort so there will be more grip on the axle?

Related to How to build a cart that moves from suspended mass

1. How does the suspended mass affect the movement of the cart?

The suspended mass plays a crucial role in the movement of the cart. It provides the necessary force to move the cart forward and also helps maintain balance and stability.

2. What materials are needed to build a cart that moves from suspended mass?

The materials needed to build a cart that moves from suspended mass include a sturdy frame, wheels, axles, a suspended mass (such as a weight or a motor), and a mechanism to transfer energy from the suspended mass to the wheels.

3. Is there a specific weight that the suspended mass should have for optimal movement?

The weight of the suspended mass will vary depending on the size and weight of the cart. It is important to have a suspended mass that is heavy enough to provide sufficient force to move the cart, but not too heavy that it causes the cart to become unstable.

4. Can the suspended mass be replaced with other energy sources?

Yes, the suspended mass can be replaced with other energy sources such as a motor, a compressed spring, or a compressed gas. The important factor is that the energy source should be able to transfer energy to the wheels to move the cart.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when building a cart with a suspended mass?

Yes, safety should always be a top priority when building any type of vehicle. It is important to ensure that the suspended mass is securely attached to the cart and that all moving parts are properly guarded. It is also recommended to have an emergency stop mechanism in case the cart becomes uncontrollable.