How to become a string theorist in India?

In summary, the conversation discusses the fascination with theoretical physics and the desire to become a theoretical physicist in India. The person has already started reading books related to the subject but is unsure about the scope and how to achieve their goal. The expert recommends focusing on actual math and physics books, starting with trigonometry, geometry, and calculus. They also suggest checking out Keisler's calculus book for further learning.
ayush solanki
i'm in 10th standard and am fascinated about theoretical physics.i have started reading books related to it-"brief history of space and time","The Elegant Universe"by Brian Greene.of all the stuff,i'm mostly interested in the string theory.my concern is that is there a scope for being a theoretical physicist in India?if so how should i achieve it and what else should i do right now to have an advantage for this field?

Physics news on Phys.org
thank u for helping.

ayush solanki said:
i'm in 10th standard and am fascinated about theoretical physics.

You are not fascinated by theoretical physics. You are fascinated by the physics portrayed in the media. There is a huge difference between the two. If you're serious about physics, then you should start reading actual math and physics books. Start by learning things like trigonometry and geometry. Then you can tackle calculus and actual physics books.
If you just want to read pop-sci books, that's perfectly fine, I like to read them as well. But that's not what physics is.

can u please recommend some books?

What is your current knowledge of mathematics and physics?

i'm familiar with trigo,algebra and geometry.in physics know the theory of relativity,laws of motion and a little bit about quantam physics.

yeah i will check it out.thanks for your help.

Related to How to become a string theorist in India?

1. What qualifications do I need to become a string theorist in India?

To become a string theorist in India, you will need a strong foundation in physics, mathematics, and computer science. This typically includes a Bachelor's degree in Physics or a related field, followed by a Master's degree in Theoretical Physics or a similar program. A Ph.D. in Theoretical Physics is also highly recommended.

2. Is it necessary to have a background in string theory to become a string theorist in India?

While having some background in string theory can be helpful, it is not a requirement to become a string theorist in India. Many successful string theorists come from diverse backgrounds in physics and mathematics.

3. Are there any specific institutes or universities in India that offer programs in string theory?

Yes, there are several institutes and universities in India that offer programs in string theory. Some of the most prominent ones include the Indian Institute of Science (IISc) in Bangalore, the Tata Institute of Fundamental Research (TIFR) in Mumbai, and the Harish-Chandra Research Institute (HRI) in Allahabad.

4. What research opportunities are available for string theorists in India?

There are many research opportunities available for string theorists in India, both in academia and in government research organizations. Many institutes and universities have active research groups in string theory, and there are also opportunities to collaborate with international researchers.

5. How long does it typically take to become a string theorist in India?

The path to becoming a string theorist in India can vary, but on average, it takes around 8-10 years of education and research. This includes 4 years for a Bachelor's degree, 2 years for a Master's degree, and 2-4 years for a Ph.D. program. However, this may vary depending on individual circumstances and can take longer for some individuals.