How to become a physicist from an engineer?

In summary: If you want to pursue physics as a degree, you will need to take a physics course in addition to the GRE. You should take a physics course in addition to the GRE in order to improve your score and to prepare for graduate school in physics.
mukul12
Hi,

I am an Electrical Engineer but I want to become a Physicist and do research to develop theoretical models of elementary partials.
I have applied in several universities in US for MS and PhD programs but they have rejected me, I believe because of my non physics background.

Can someone suggest me what would be the best way to become a Physicist at this moment!
I am open to every possibility.

Physics news on Phys.org
mukul12 said:
Hi,

I am an Electrical Engineer but I want to become a Physicist and do research to develop theoretical models of elementary partials.
I have applied in several universities in US for MS and PhD programs but they have rejected me, I believe because of my non physics background.

Can someone suggest me what would be the best way to become a Physicist at this moment!
I am open to every possibility.

I hope you mean you want to develop theoretical models of elementary particles.

Graduate programs are not in the habit of rejecting an applicant solely because his academic background may not correspond exactly with the preparation required for the degree sought. There are many objective criteria to consider, such as your previous academic record, your scores on standardized tests, like the GRE, whether the graduate institution will accept credits from your undergraduate institution, etc.

If the schools which have rejected your application have not provided clear reasons for their decision, perhaps a request in writing asking for a detailed evaluation of why your application was rejected is in order now.

mukul12 said:

You should start by reading the very first message thread in this forum, at the very top of the page, "Can I get a Ph.D. in physics if my bachelor's degree isn't in physics"

Next, what was your physics GRE score?

Okay, my physics GRE is 630, i know its not great, but this was the best I could do by preparing for 2 months while working. I am in parallel studying to take GRE this year again and my concepts of EM, Quantum and Classic Mechanics are fairly good. I was expecting the score to be higher!

Anyhow I am preparing again but I don't know the ideal or acceptable score to achieve as to get into a good/average university with my qualification. I am an Indian student from not very reputed university that makes things even difficult.

So now can you suggest something?

Is there any other non US university where I can apply?

SteamKing said:
perhaps a request in writing asking for a detailed evaluation of why your application was rejected is in order now.

I don't think many places would provide one. It's extra work, and there's no benefit for the school. At best, nothing happens. At worse, they get into a protracted argument.

mukul12 said:
Okay, my physics GRE is 630, i know its not great

It's not just "not great". It's low. About 2/3 of the students did better than that - and about twice as many students take the GRE than enter grad school.

Your background appears such that you are not prepared for graduate school in physics. Your GRE score reinforces that.

Related to How to become a physicist from an engineer?

1. Can I become a physicist if I have an engineering degree?

Yes, it is possible to become a physicist even if you have an engineering degree. Many engineers have successfully transitioned into the field of physics by pursuing further education or gaining experience in physics-related work.

2. What steps should I take to become a physicist from an engineer?

To become a physicist from an engineer, you can start by taking courses in physics and mathematics, and gaining a strong understanding of the fundamentals. You can also pursue a graduate degree in physics or gain experience through internships or research projects.

3. Do I need to have a physics degree to become a physicist?

While having a physics degree can provide a strong foundation for a career in physics, it is not a requirement. Many physicists come from diverse educational backgrounds such as engineering, mathematics, or computer science.

4. Is it necessary to have a PhD to become a physicist?

Having a PhD in physics can open up more opportunities in research and academia, but it is not a requirement for all positions. Many entry-level jobs in the field of physics only require a bachelor's or master's degree.

5. Can I work as both an engineer and a physicist?

Yes, it is possible to work in both fields simultaneously. Some companies may have roles that require both engineering and physics skills, such as in the fields of aerospace or renewable energy. However, it may require a strong understanding and balance of both disciplines.