How to Apply Partial Differentiation to V=f(x²+y²)?

In summary, using the chain rule, it can be shown that for a function V=f(x²+y²), the partial derivatives ∂V/∂x and ∂V/∂y are both equal to 2xy(df/dg), resulting in x(∂V/∂y) - y(∂V/∂x) = 0.
patrickmoloney

Homework Statement

let V=f(x²+y²) , show that x(∂V/∂y) - y(∂V/∂x) = 0

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

V=f(x²+y²) ; V=f(x)² + f(y)²

∂V/∂x = 2[f(x)]f'(x) + [0]

∂V/∂y = 2[f(y)]f'(y)

I'm sure I've gone wrong somewhere, I have never seen functions like this, I'm just used to using V=f(x,y)= some function and then partially differentiations. help would be much apprectiated.

Physics news on Phys.org
You are nearly there:
You have a function of form: ##V(x,y)=f(g(x,y))##
... so you'd use the chain rule. $$\partial_x V = \frac{df}{dg}\partial_x g(x,y)$$

V(x,y) = f(g(x,y)

using chain rule:

∂V/∂x = df/dg (∂g/∂x[(x²+y²)])
= 2x(df/dg)

y(∂V/∂x) = 2xy(df/dg)

∂V/∂y = df/dg (∂g/∂y[(x²+y²)])
= 2y(df/dg)

x(∂V/∂y) = 2xy(df/dg)

x(∂V/∂y)-y(∂V/∂x) = 0

2xy(df/dg) - 2xy(df/dg) = 0

Well done :)

Likes 1 person

I would suggest starting by rewriting the function V in terms of x and y, instead of f(x) and f(y). This will make it easier to apply partial differentiation. So, let's start with V = f(x²+y²) = f(u), where u = x²+y².

Now, we can use the chain rule to find ∂V/∂x and ∂V/∂y:

∂V/∂x = ∂f/∂u * ∂u/∂x = 2xf'(u) = 2xf'(x²+y²)

∂V/∂y = ∂f/∂u * ∂u/∂y = 2yf'(u) = 2yf'(x²+y²)

Next, we can substitute these expressions into the given equation:

x(∂V/∂y) - y(∂V/∂x) = x * 2yf'(x²+y²) - y * 2xf'(x²+y²) = 2xyf'(x²+y²) - 2xyf'(x²+y²) = 0

Therefore, we have shown that x(∂V/∂y) - y(∂V/∂x) = 0, as required. This is a useful result in partial differentiation, and it can also be extended to functions of more than two variables. I hope this helps!

Related to How to Apply Partial Differentiation to V=f(x²+y²)?

1. What is partial differentiation?

Partial differentiation is a mathematical technique used to find the rate of change of a function with respect to one of its independent variables while holding the other variables constant. It is commonly used in multivariable calculus to analyze complex functions with multiple input variables.

2. What is the difference between partial differentiation and ordinary differentiation?

The main difference between partial differentiation and ordinary differentiation is that partial differentiation considers the rate of change of a function with respect to only one of its independent variables, while ordinary differentiation takes into account the rate of change with respect to all the variables.

3. Why is partial differentiation important in science?

Partial differentiation is important in science because many physical, chemical, and biological processes involve multiple variables that are interdependent. By using partial differentiation, scientists can understand how changes in one variable affect the overall behavior of a system.

4. How is partial differentiation applied in real-world problems?

Partial differentiation is used in a variety of real-world problems, such as in economics to analyze demand and supply functions, in physics to study the motion of objects with multiple forces acting on them, and in engineering to optimize complex systems. It is also used in machine learning and data analysis to model and understand relationships between multiple variables.

5. What are some common techniques used in partial differentiation?

Some common techniques used in partial differentiation include the power rule, product rule, quotient rule, and chain rule. These rules allow us to find the partial derivatives of more complex functions by breaking them down into simpler parts. Another technique is the method of implicit differentiation, which is used to find the derivative of an implicitly defined function.