How to Add Matrices Along Diagonals

In summary, the conversation is about adding a smaller matrix into a larger matrix along the diagonals, with overlap only in the corners. The process involves using nested for loops, with the size of the larger matrix potentially dependent on a variable. The exact syntax and layout of the smaller and larger matrices may vary depending on the specific problem being solved.
member 428835
Hi PF!

Let's say I have a 3X3 matrix ##K## and a much larger square matrix, call it ##M##. I am trying to add ##K## into ##M## along the diagonals. It's difficult for me to explain (and hence code) so I've attached a picture. Does anyone know a good way of doing this? Notice overlap is only in the corners.

Attachments

• matrix.jpg
    matrix.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
jedishrfu said:
Are you trying to do a convolution?
I am not. I'm ultimately solving a BVP via finite elements. So when constructing a global matrix ##M## I have to superimpose ##K##s onto it as described.

I guess I’d do this with a couple of for loops. There may be a clever vector scheme but I don’t know Mathematica at all.

Java:
For ij=0 to M step K
  For ki=0 to KI
     For kj=0 to KJ
       M(ij+ki, ij+kj) += K(ki,kj)
     End
   End
End

This code might have to be tweaked some like step K-1 instead of step K.

joshmccraney said:
Hi PF!

Let's say I have a 3X3 matrix ##K## and a much larger square matrix, call it ##M##. I am trying to add ##K## into ##M## along the diagonals. It's difficult for me to explain (and hence code) so I've attached a picture. Does anyone know a good way of doing this? Notice overlap is only in the corners.
Since you're trying to insert a 3x3 matrix into blocks on a larger matrix, the size of the larger matrix should be 3m x 3m.

Along the lines of what @jedishrfu suggested, you'll need an outer loop that inserts a 3x3 matrix each iteration, and an inner loop that inserts the values for each 3x3 matrix.

The first 3x3 matrix will go in positions (1, 1), (1, 2), (1, 3), (2, 1), (2, 2), (2, 3), (3, 1), (3, 2), (3, 3).

The next 3x3 matrix will go in positions similar to the above, with the upper left index being (4, 4) and the lower right index being (6, 6),

And so on.

The "inner loop" that I mentioned above might actually need another loop nested inside it.

Gotcha! I wasn't sure if Mathematica had some quick internal function that could operate more efficiently than a for loop. So I'm stuck on the syntax; given ##K## nad ##M##, in MATLAB I would write
Code:
N = 5;
M = zeros(N);
for L = 1:2:N-2
    for i = 1:3
        for j = 1:3
            M(L+i-1,L+j-1) = M(L+i-1,L+j-1) + K(i,j);
        end
    end
end

It should be noted since ##M_{33}## is composed of ##K_{11}+K_{33}##, ##M## is actually any matrix with odd dimensions, so not 3m X 3m. I tried showing this in my picture, but I'm not much of an artist. Do either of you know the syntax to compute this triple loop in Mathematica? I've looked it up but the nested loops are confusing for a Mathematic novice like myself.

Perhaps this will clarify my question from above: this is what I have so far in Mathematica
Code:
For[L = 1, L <= 1/h - 1, L += 2,
 For[i = 1, i <= 3, i++,
  For[j = 1, j <= 3, j++,
   M[[L + i - 1, L + j - 1]] =
    M[[L + i - 1, L + j - 1]] + K[[i, j]]]]]
and everything works fine so long as I hardcode the dimensions of M. However, what I would like is to have the size of M dependent on a variable h, so something like this
M[h_] := M[h] = Table[0, {i, 1, 1/h + 1}, {j, 1, 1/h + 1}]
The following code executes the previous loop accounting for variable h:
Code:
 For[i = 1, i <= 3, i++,
  For[j = 1, j <= 3, j++,
   M[h_][[L + i - 1, L + j - 1]] :=
    M[h][[L + i - 1, L + j - 1]] + K[[i, j]]]]]
But now M is all zeros. Can someone help me here please?

From post #1:
joshmccraney said:
Notice overlap is only in the corners.
This wasn't clear in your first post. So instead of having separate blocks that go down the diagonal, the lower right entry of a block is also the upper left entry of the next block, and this entry is the sum of the corresponding elements from the two blocks. Is that what you're trying to convey?From post #6:
joshmccraney said:
Gotcha! I wasn't sure if Mathematica had some quick internal function that could operate more efficiently than a for loop.
Got me -- I've never written any Mathematica code.
joshmccraney said:
So I'm stuck on the syntax; given ##K## nad ##M##, in MATLAB I would write
Code:
N = 5;
M = zeros(N);
        end
    end
end

It should be noted since ##M_{33}## is composed of ##K_{11}+K_{33}##, ##M## is actually any matrix with odd dimensions, so not 3m X 3m.
No, I think you'll need to be more specific about how the blocks (submatrices) are laid out, including the sizes of each block and where they go.
Otherwise this doesn't make much sense. Is M a 5x5 matrix? And is K a 3x3 matrix? For the moment, let's assume that M is initialized to all 0s and let's assume that J is a 3x3 matrix initialized to all 1's and K is 3x3 initialized to all 2's.
If I'm understanding what you're trying to say, then ##M_{3,3} = J_{3, 3} + K_{1, 1} = 1 + 2 = 3##.
As I see it, the complete matrix would look like this:
##\begin{bmatrix} 1&1&1&0&0\\
1&1&1&0&0\\
1&1&3 & 2&2\\
0&0&2&2&2\\
0&0&2&2&2 \end{bmatrix}##
The upper left 3x3 block is J and the lower right 3x3 block is K. Where they intersect the entry is the sum of ##J_{3, 3}## and ##K_{1, 1}##

The MATLAB code you have above doesn't appear to be doing this.
joshmccraney said:
I tried showing this in my picture, but I'm not much of an artist. Do either of you know the syntax to compute this triple loop in Mathematica? I've looked it up but the nested loops are confusing for a Mathematic novice like myself.

joshmccraney said:
Perhaps this will clarify my question from above:
this is what I have so far in Mathematica
Code:
What is the value of h?

Mark44 said:
From post #1: This wasn't clear in your first post. So instead of having separate blocks that go down the diagonal, the lower right entry of a block is also the upper left entry of the next block, and this entry is the sum of the corresponding elements from the two blocks. Is that what you're trying to convey?
Yes! Thanks for phrasing it so concisely.It should work. Try this:
Code:
h = 0.25;
N = 1/h + 1;                
M = zeros(N);
K = ones
        end
    end
end
Matrix should look like this
##\begin{bmatrix} 1&1&1&0&0\\
1&1&1&0&0\\
1&1&2 & 1&1\\
0&0&1&1&1\\
0&0&1&1&1 \end{bmatrix}##

The issue I face now is solely Mathematica syntax. Specifically, how to allow the size of M to be a function of h in the loop?

Here's a first cut with some working C++ code that produces the matrix I showed in post #3. I'm sure there's a lot of room for improving my code, to make it more general. I'm not familiar with Mathematica, but possibly you can translate this into Mathematica code.

C:
// Test.cpp

#include <iostream>

const int N = 5; // Matrix M is N x N

const int cornerIdx = 2;
void printArray(int arr[][N], int);

int J[][3] = { {1, 1, 1}, {1, 1, 1}, {1, 1, 1} };
int K[][3] = { {2, 2, 2}, {2, 2, 2}, {2, 2, 2} };
int M[N][N] = { 0 }; // Initializes all N x N elements to 0.int main()
{
    int i, j;

// Insert matrix J as the upper left 3x3 block
    for (i = 0; i <= cornerIdx; i++)
       for (j = 0; j <= cornerIdx; j++) 
          M[i][j] = J[i][j];

// Insert matrix K as the lower right 3x3 block
    for (i = cornerIdx ; i < N; i++)
       for (j = cornerIdx; j < N; j++)
          M[i][j] = K[i - cornerIdx][j - cornerIdx];

// Add the lower right corner of J to the upper left corner of K,
    // and insert into the overlap spot of M
    M[cornerIdx][cornerIdx] = J[cornerIdx][cornerIdx] + K[1][1];

// Print the array
    printArray(M, N);
    return 0;
}

void printArray(int arr[][N], int numRows)
{
    for (int i = 0; i < numRows; i++)
    {
       for (int j = 0; j < N; j++)
          std::cout << arr[i][j] << " ";
       std::cout << std::endl;
    }
    std::cout << std::endl;
}
Here's the output:
Code:
1 1 1 0 0
1 1 1 0 0
1 1 3 2 2
0 0 2 2 2
0 0 2 2 2

Related to How to Add Matrices Along Diagonals

1. What is a "summing matrix"?

A summing matrix is a mathematical tool used to add the components of a matrix together. It can be used to find the total value of a set of data or to combine multiple matrices into one.

2. How is a summing matrix different from a regular matrix?

A summing matrix is different from a regular matrix in that it is specifically designed for adding the components of a matrix together. It is typically a square matrix with equal rows and columns, and all of its elements are either 0 or 1.

3. What are the steps for summing matrix components?

The steps for summing matrix components are as follows:

1. Identify the matrices you want to add together.
  2. Make sure the matrices have the same dimensions (same number of rows and columns).
  3. Add the corresponding elements of the matrices together.
  4. Place the results in a new matrix, with each element in the same position as in the original matrices.

4. Can a summing matrix be used for matrices with different dimensions?

No, a summing matrix can only be used for matrices with the same dimensions. This is because the number of rows and columns need to be equal in order for the corresponding elements to be added together.

5. What are some real-world applications of summing matrix components?

Summing matrix components have various applications in fields such as computer science, economics, and statistics. They can be used for data analysis, image processing, and optimization problems, among others. For example, in computer graphics, a summing matrix can be used to combine multiple layers of an image to create a final composite image.