How to absorb a characteristic line in the spectrum

In summary, the speaker has an x-ray tube with an anode made of molybdenum and is observing characteristic lines in the spectrum. They want to filter out one of the characteristic lines and are considering using Zr or Nb as a filter. They also mention the possibility of taking a background spectrum and subtracting it from the final data spectrum. They ask for confirmation on their choice of filter.
bznm
I have an x-ray tube. When I see the spectrum, I notice the characteristic lines of the anode. What do I have to do if I want to absorb a characteristic line?

I have thought that I can add a filter. But.. which filter? Should it be an element such that the bound energy for the K-shell electrons is minor of the energy of the characteristic line that I want to absorb?

I want to filter the k_alpha line much more than the k_beta line.

Which filter do I have to use?

Zr, E_k=18 kev

Nb, E_k=18.99 kev

Mo, E_k=20 kev

According to what I previously said, I'd choose Zr and Nb. Do you agree with me?

Thanks a lot!

Physics news on Phys.org
bznm said:
I have an x-ray tube. When I see the spectrum, I notice the characteristic lines of the anode. What do I have to do if I want to absorb a characteristic line?
This is an emission line we are talking about, and you don't want it in the spectrum?
Then why not take a background spectrum and subtract it from the final data spectrum.

Or do you want to preferentially detect that line?

Related to How to absorb a characteristic line in the spectrum

1. How do I determine the characteristic line in a spectrum?

In order to determine the characteristic line in a spectrum, you will need to analyze the wavelengths and intensities of the lines present. Characteristic lines are typically sharp and distinct, and can be identified by their unique wavelengths or energy levels.

2. What is the purpose of absorbing a characteristic line in the spectrum?

Absorbing a characteristic line in the spectrum allows scientists to identify the elements present in a sample. Each element has its own unique characteristic lines, and by measuring which lines are absorbed, scientists can determine the composition of a sample.

3. How can I absorb a characteristic line in the spectrum?

To absorb a characteristic line in the spectrum, you will need to use a spectrometer or other spectroscopic instrument. These instruments use light sources and detectors to measure the wavelengths and intensities of the lines present in a spectrum. By adjusting the instrument's settings, you can selectively absorb certain lines to identify specific elements.

4. Are there any factors that can affect the absorption of a characteristic line in the spectrum?

Yes, there are several factors that can affect the absorption of a characteristic line in the spectrum. These include the concentration of the element in the sample, the temperature and pressure of the sample, and the type of light source being used. It is important to control these factors in order to accurately absorb and identify characteristic lines.

5. Can characteristic lines in the spectrum be used to determine the structure of molecules?

Yes, characteristic lines in the spectrum can provide valuable information about the structure of molecules. By analyzing the absorption of these lines, scientists can determine the types of bonds present in a molecule and the arrangement of its atoms. This can be useful in fields such as chemistry and biochemistry.