How Thick Should Polyurethane Foam Be for Optimal Insulation?

• Thread starter G-reg
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Insulation
In summary, the R-value of a single-family dwelling in a cold climate should have an R-value of 25. To give such insulation, a layer of polyurethane foam would need to be 6.4m thick.
G-reg

Homework Statement

The ceiling of a single-family dwelling in a cold climate should have an R-value of 25. To give such insulation, how thick would a layer have to be if it were made of each of the following materials?

(a) polyurethane foam (thermal conductivity k = 0.024 W/m · K)

Homework Equations

R = L/k

L = length(thickness)
k = thermal conductivity

The Attempt at a Solution

Rk = L
25(.024) = .6m

My homework is telling me that I'm wrong and I have no idea why. This seems like a pretty simple and straight forward question. Can anyone help point out where I'm going wrong? Please!

Physics news on Phys.org

For starters, something must be wrong with that equation because the units don't work out. If R is a dimensionless number, then L and k would have the same units. But they clearly don't. So what's missing? Either there's some part of the formula you haven't written, or one of those numbers (R, L, or k, and I'm guessing R) has different units than you've stated.

Could it be a confusion of units? Apparently the USA has an R value in ft²·°F·h/Btu rather than the SI units used in the rest of the world. Nice article on it at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R-value_(insulation)

Ah yes the units is the problem. However, now I'm having trouble converting it..here is what I did and it didn't produce the correct answer:

.024[W/(m)(K)] x [(.3048m)^2]/1ft^2 x [(1.8K)/1 F] x (1 Btu/1055 J) x [(3600s)/1hr]

where F = fahrenheit

According to the wikipedia article
The conversion between SI and US units of R-value is 1 h·ft²·°F/Btu = 0.176110 K·m²/W, or 1 K·m²/W = 5.678263 h·ft²·°F/Btu.[3]
Can you use this to convert the given R = 25? Is that 25 in metric or US units?

Why (0.3048m)^2/1ft^2 and not 0.3048m/1ft?

because R is given as 25 [(ft^2 * F * hr)/ (Btu)]

and yes, I think that I can you use that conversion. Thanks!

Related to How Thick Should Polyurethane Foam Be for Optimal Insulation?

1. What is R-value insulation?

R-value insulation is a measure of a material's resistance to heat flow. It indicates how well the material can resist the transfer of heat from one side to the other. A higher R-value means better insulation and less heat transfer.

2. Why is R-value important in insulation?

R-value is important in insulation because it determines how well the material can keep heat inside a building. A higher R-value means better insulation and can result in lower energy costs and a more comfortable living or working environment.

3. What factors affect R-value in insulation?

The factors that affect R-value in insulation include the type of material used, its thickness, density, and installation method. Other factors such as air leaks, moisture, and compression of the insulation can also impact its R-value.

4. How is R-value calculated?

R-value is calculated by dividing the thickness of the material (in inches) by its thermal conductivity. The higher the R-value, the better the insulation. R-value can also be calculated for a specific area by multiplying the R-value of the insulation material by the area in square feet.

5. What is the recommended R-value for insulation in different areas of a building?

The recommended R-value for insulation can vary depending on the climate and location of the building. In general, the Department of Energy recommends an R-value of 49 for attics, 21 for walls, and 30 for floors in most regions of the United States. However, it is important to consult with a professional to determine the specific R-value needed for your building based on its location and other factors.