How the last part relative to the azimuthal angle works

In summary, the conversation discussed the use of coordinates in the Minkowski metric and how they relate to spherical polar coordinates. The range of figures produced by d\theta^2 and d\phi^2 were defined as well as their units of measurement in radians. It was also explained that the formula for r^2\left(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta \, d\phi^2\right) is only valid for small values and an integral would be needed for a more accurate calculation. Finally, an example was given to demonstrate how the formula can be used to find the true distance traveled on the surface of a sphere.
stevebd1
Insights Author
Gold Member
While I understand how coordinates work, I'm still trying to figure out how the last part relative to the azimuthal angle works, for example, in Minkowski metric-

[tex]c^2 {d \tau}^{2} = c^2 dt^2 - dr^2 - r^2\left(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta \, d\phi^2\right)[/tex]

while I get that [itex]\sin^2\theta[/itex] produces a figure that ranges from 0-1, I'd appreciate it if someone could define the range of figures [itex]d\theta^2[/itex] and [itex]d\phi^2[/itex] produce and what units are used (i.e. degrees, radians, degrees expressed as a fraction of 360).

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

Theta: 0-pi
Phi: 0-2pi

[itex]\theta[/itex] and [itex]\phi[/itex] are "latitude" and "longitude", both measured in radians. Except that "latitude" (really "colatitude" or "zenith") is measured from the north pole instead of the equator.

[itex]r\,d\theta[/itex] is the distance you move (southwards along a meridian of radius r) when you change your colatitude by a small amount [itex]d\theta[/itex].

[itex]r\,\sin\theta\,d\phi[/itex] is the distance you move (eastwards along a circle of latitude of radius [itex]r\,\sin\theta[/itex]) when you change your longitude by a small amount [itex]d\phi[/itex].

Thanks for the replies. So basically zenith plane = 180 degrees = pi and azimuth plane = 360 degrees = 2pi (which I recognise as the denomination of radians).

To summarize, the way I understand it (in the context of approaching a sphere radially) is-

An object drops 10 degrees in the zenith plane-

[tex]d\theta^2 = (10/180)\pi^2 = 0.031[/tex]

the same object, at the same time, moves 30 degrees in the azimuth plane-

[tex]d\phi^2 = (30/360)2\pi^2 = 0.274[/tex]

The next part I'm not 100% about but I'm assuming [itex]sin^2\theta[/itex] remains based on degrees and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the change in angle (in this case, 10 degrees)-

[tex]sin^2\theta = sin^2(10) = 0.030 [/tex]

which means-

[tex] r^2\left(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta \ d\phi^2\right)\ =\ r^2\left(0.031 + 0.030 \cdot 0.274\right)\ =\ r^2 0.039[/tex]

This looks like it might be a bit low but I'm guessing the effects on space time (relative to a spherical object) are more related to changes in radial coordinates than changes in spherical coordinates.

Last edited:

stevebd1 said:
This looks like it might be a bit low but I'm guessing the effects on space time (relative to a spherical object) are more related to changes in radial coordinates than changes in spherical coordinates.

What effect are you trying to understand?

I was referring to [itex]r^2\left(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta \, d\phi^2\right)[/itex] in the context of Schwarzschild metric.

Last edited:

The formula is only true (approximately) for small values of [itex]dt[/itex], [itex]dr[/itex], [itex]d\phi[/itex], [itex]d\theta[/itex], that is, in the calculus limit as each of these quantities tends to zero. Both [itex]r[/itex] and [itex]\theta[/itex] can be considered constant -- these are the actual radius and zenith not the changes.

To calculate an accurate (rather than approximate) value over a line or curve in spacetime you would need to integrate along the curve.

Thanks DrGreg, I was almost tempted to leave [itex]\theta[/itex] as a plain angle relative to the z axis.

Would the following then be correct? (putting a max of 5° [itex]d\theta[/itex] and [itex]d\phi[/itex])

constants- r=10,000 m, [itex]\theta[/itex]=45° (approach angle relative to z axis)

An object approaching a sphere at [itex]\theta = 45^o[/itex] drops 5° in the zenith plane at r=10,000 m over dr=1 m-

[tex]d\theta^2 = (10/180)\pi^2 = 0.008[/tex]

the same object, at the same time, has moved 5° in the azimuth plane-

[tex]d\phi^2 = (5/360)2\pi^2 = 0.008[/tex]

[itex]sin^2\theta[/itex] remains based on degrees and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the (approx?) angle of approach (in this case, 45°) -

[tex]sin^2\theta = sin^2(45) = 0.5[/tex]

which means-

[tex] r^2\left(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta \ d\phi^2\right)\ =\ r^2\left(0.008 + 0.5 \cdot 0.008\right)\ =\ r^2 0.012[/tex]

[tex]=10,000^2 \cdot 0.012[/tex]

I've realized that [itex]r^2\left(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta \ d\phi^2\right)[/itex] is simply a geometric solution to finding the true distance traveled on the surface of a sphere (over small increments) using the radius, zenith and azimuth angle. Following on from above-

actual distance traveled based on change in zenith & azimuth angle, angle of approach and radius -

[tex]=\sqrt{10,000^2 \cdot 0.012}[/tex]

= 1095.445 m

Last edited:

stevebd1 said:
Thanks DrGreg, I was almost tempted to leave [itex]\theta[/itex] as a plain angle relative to the z axis.

Would the following then be correct? (putting a max of 5° [itex]d\theta[/itex] and [itex]d\phi[/itex])

constants- r=10,000 m, [itex]\theta[/itex]=45° (approach angle relative to z axis)

An object approaching a sphere at [itex]\theta = 45^o[/itex] drops 5° in the zenith plane at r=10,000 m over dr=1 m-

[tex]d\theta^2 = (10/180)\pi^2 = 0.008[/tex]

the same object, at the same time, has moved 5° in the azimuth plane-

[tex]d\phi^2 = (5/360)2\pi^2 = 0.008[/tex]

[itex]sin^2\theta[/itex] remains based on degrees and [itex]\theta[/itex] is the (approx?) angle of approach (in this case, 45°) -

[tex]sin^2\theta = sin^2(45) = 0.5[/tex]

which means-

[tex] r^2\left(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta \ d\phi^2\right)\ =\ r^2\left(0.008 + 0.5 \cdot 0.008\right)\ =\ r^2 0.012[/tex]

[tex]=10,000^2 \cdot 0.012[/tex]

I've realized that [itex]r^2\left(d\theta^2 + \sin^2\theta \ d\phi^2\right)[/itex] is simply a geometric solution to finding the true distance traveled on the surface of a sphere (over small increments) using the radius, zenith and azimuth angle. Following on from above-

actual distance traveled based on change in zenith & azimuth angle, angle of approach and radius -

[tex]=\sqrt{10,000^2 \cdot 0.012}[/tex]

= 1095.445 m
Your calculation and interpretation are both correct (except that you put "10" instead of "5" into the first formula, but nevertheless got the right answer! a typing error I assume). Just remember it's an approximation, which gets more accurate the smaller the increments are.

Related to How the last part relative to the azimuthal angle works

1. What is the last part relative to the azimuthal angle?

The last part relative to the azimuthal angle refers to the final step in calculating the azimuthal angle, which is a measurement used in spherical coordinate systems to determine the direction of a point in space. This step involves using the trigonometric functions of sine and cosine to determine the angle's value.

2. How is the last part relative to the azimuthal angle calculated?

The last part relative to the azimuthal angle is typically calculated using the formula arctan(y/x), where x and y are the coordinates of a point on a two-dimensional plane. This formula takes into account the ratio of the two coordinates to determine the angle.

3. What is the purpose of the last part relative to the azimuthal angle?

The last part relative to the azimuthal angle is used to determine the direction of a point in space, specifically in spherical coordinate systems. It is an important component in mapping and navigation, as well as in various mathematical and scientific calculations.

4. Are there any other methods for calculating the last part relative to the azimuthal angle?

Yes, there are other methods for calculating the last part relative to the azimuthal angle, such as using the inverse tangent function (arctan) or using a calculator or computer program. However, the formula involving the trigonometric functions of sine and cosine is the most commonly used method.

5. How does the last part relative to the azimuthal angle affect the overall value of the azimuthal angle?

The last part relative to the azimuthal angle is a crucial step in determining the overall value of the azimuthal angle. It can significantly impact the final result, as even a small change in the coordinates can result in a different angle value. Therefore, it is important to accurately calculate this last part to obtain an accurate measurement of the azimuthal angle.