How the coefficient of static friction works

In summary, the conversation is about understanding the coefficient of static friction and its application in determining the minimum angle at which an object will begin to slide on an inclined plane. The formula used is mg sin(θ) = µs mg cos(θ), and it is explained that µsmgcosθ is the friction force and mgsinθ is the force working against friction. The conversation ends with a clarification that mgcosθ is the normal force.
mvantuyl
Not exactly a homework problem, but I'm trying to make sure I understand how the coefficient of static friction works.

Given an object on an inclined plane and a question which asks for the minimum angle at which the object will begin to slide, I know that the formula to use is:

mg sin([tex]\theta[/tex]) = [tex]\mu[/tex][tex]_{s}[/tex] mg cos([tex]\theta[/tex])

which becomes

tan[tex]^{-1}[/tex]([tex]\mu[/tex][tex]_{s}[/tex]) = [tex]\theta[/tex]

I understand that mg times the sin of the angle represents the force which is working against friction. Is mu mg times the cos of the angle equal to the normal force?

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi mvantuyl! :smile:

(have a mu: µ and a theta: θ :wink:)
mvantuyl said:
I understand that mg times the sin of the angle represents the force which is working against friction. Is mu mg times the cos of the angle equal to the normal force?

No, mgcosθ is the normal force.

So µsmgcosθ is the friction force, and mgsinθ is the component of the gravitational force which (in your terminology) is working against friction (and that's why they're equal). :smile:

Thank you! That clears it up for me.

Related to How the coefficient of static friction works

1. How is the coefficient of static friction defined?

The coefficient of static friction is defined as the ratio between the maximum force of static friction and the normal force applied between two surfaces in contact. It is denoted by the symbol μs.

2. What factors affect the value of the coefficient of static friction?

The coefficient of static friction depends on the nature of the surfaces in contact, the roughness of the surfaces, and the presence of any lubricants or adhesives. It also varies with the temperature and the pressure applied.

3. How is the coefficient of static friction calculated?

The coefficient of static friction can be calculated by dividing the maximum force of static friction by the normal force between two surfaces. This can be determined experimentally by gradually increasing the force applied until the object starts to move.

4. Why is the coefficient of static friction important?

The coefficient of static friction is important because it helps us understand how much force is needed to keep an object at rest on a surface. It also plays a crucial role in determining the stability of structures and the safety of various objects in motion.

5. Can the coefficient of static friction be greater than 1?

Yes, the coefficient of static friction can be greater than 1. This means that a greater force is needed to overcome the static friction and move an object on a surface. However, the coefficient of static friction cannot exceed the coefficient of kinetic friction, which is the resistance to motion between two surfaces in contact.