How Strong Does a Fishing Line Need to Be to Stop a Drifting Salmon?

In summary, the problem involves finding the minimum strength needed for a fishing line to stop a salmon of weight 78 N traveling at 3.1 m/s horizontally over a distance of 13 cm, assuming constant deceleration. The equations needed for this problem include v=V0+at, x-x0=v0t+(1/2)at^2, Vf^2=V0^2+2a(x-x0), and F=ma.
Kawasaki268F

Homework Statement

The tension at which a fishing line snaps is commonly called the line's “strength.” What minimum strength is needed for a line that is to stop a salmon of weight 78 N in 13 cm if the fish is initially drifting horizontally at 3.1 m/s? Assume a constant deceleration.

Homework Equations

I need to use constant acceleration equations...so: v=V0+at, x-x0=v0t+(1/2)at^2...there are 3 other equations for constant acceleration but I don't think i have learned them yet.

The Attempt at a Solution

I am pretty stuck on this one as I have no idea which equation to use and what to do after that to find the solution

Physics news on Phys.org
I got it with the help of a friend using Vf^2=V0^2+2a(x-x0) and F=ma

Related to How Strong Does a Fishing Line Need to Be to Stop a Drifting Salmon?

What is fishing line strength?

Fishing line strength is a measure of the amount of weight or force that a fishing line can withstand before breaking. It is typically measured in pounds or kilograms.

How is fishing line strength determined?

Fishing line strength is determined through a standardized testing process in which the line is pulled until it breaks. The amount of weight or force required to break the line is then recorded as the line's strength.

What factors affect fishing line strength?

The main factors that affect fishing line strength include the material of the line, its diameter, and its age. Other factors such as the type of fishing technique used and the condition of the fishing rod and reel can also impact the line's strength.

Is a higher fishing line strength always better?

Not necessarily. While a higher fishing line strength may be able to withstand more weight or force, it may also be thicker and less sensitive, making it less suitable for certain fishing techniques. The ideal fishing line strength depends on the type of fish being targeted and the fishing conditions.

How can I choose the right fishing line strength?

To choose the right fishing line strength, consider the type of fish you will be targeting, the fishing technique you will be using, and the fishing conditions. It's also important to test the line's strength before going on a fishing trip to ensure it can handle the weight and force of your target fish.