How slow can Gedanken experiments be theoretically?

• B
  • Thread starter NTHstars
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Experiments
In summary: If you try to force the entangled partners to do something uncorrelated, then the correlations between the photons will disappear and the interference pattern will disappear.
NTHstars
New techniques are slowing down light. Spacial separation is used in Wheeler’s delayed-choice Gedanken experiments to increase the time between aspects of the experiments. Potentially, could new techniques slow the experiments down much further, and, if so, within reason how much slower could the experiments be? Are there hypothetical strategies that could extend such experiments into seconds or longer?

Physics news on Phys.org
Given that a "Gedanken experiment" is just a fancy word for a thought experiment, I imagine they can be about as slow as you'd like them to be.

Likes DaveC426913
Agree w/ Dewgale. NTHstars, are you asking about thought experiments, or about real experiments?

The real experiments, thanks!

Actual delayed-choice experiments have been done. You can keep the interesting steps without causal connection and it still works. You don't need to slow light for that.

I guess another way to ask the question is...theoretically, is it feasible to slow the experiment down drastically by using time instead of space? I don't mean in some sci-fi way, I mean by purposefully "holding up" the light by perhaps having it bounce off mirrors (or whatever) for a set duration of time before it was allowed to "complete" the experiment. What I'm looking for is...from the time the light first enters the experiment, until the experiment is complete and the total results are known, could you theoretically purposefully drastically "slow" or delay the passage of the photons to the extend the duration of the experiment?

You can add delays for the light as much as you want, it doesn't matter. It just makes the experiment more challenging in terms of alignment of the components and so on.

NTHstars said:
perhaps having it bounce off mirrors (or whatever) for a set duration of time before it was allowed to "complete" the experiment.
That doesn't slow the light, it just makes it go a longer distance which of course increases the travel time. This is a common experimental technique (although it's generally more practical to do "whatever" using optical fiber instead of mirrors - easier to route around obstacles, less attenuation).

mfb said:
You can add delays for the light as much as you want, it doesn't matter. It just makes the experiment more challenging in terms of alignment of the components and so on.

If you tried to set up an experiment where one set so results (let's say an interference pattern - or not) was recorded and then you tried to force the entangled partners to do something uncorrelated, is there any thinking on what would happen? I can think of a few ways that nature might get out of it (*), but I wonder what the best theory is at present?

(*) For example, if we definitely have a double-slit interference pattern and we then look at the entangled partners - assuming the photons are confined in some way and so the second measurement apparatus is not too far away - then perhaps too much uncertainty in each photons path has built up - or too many get absorbed by the apparatus and are lost to the experiment. So that the more certain the interfence pattern, then the more photons that go missing from the second half of the experiment?

PeroK said:
but I wonder what the best theory is at present?
Quantum mechanics. The Wikipedia article describes the experiment in more detail.
PeroK said:
For example, if we definitely have a double-slit interference pattern and we then look at the entangled partners
You can't do that (unless the entanglement is in something irrelevant).

Related to How slow can Gedanken experiments be theoretically?

1. How do Gedanken experiments relate to the speed of light?

Gedanken experiments, or thought experiments, do not necessarily involve physical objects or processes. Therefore, they are not limited by the speed of light and can theoretically be as slow as desired.

2. Is there a limit to how slow a Gedanken experiment can be?

In theory, there is no limit to how slow a Gedanken experiment can be, as it is purely hypothetical and can be manipulated at will. However, practical limitations such as the human thought process may limit the potential slowness of a thought experiment.

3. Can Gedanken experiments be used to study phenomena that occur over long periods of time?

Yes, Gedanken experiments can be used to study phenomena that occur over long periods of time. They can be slowed down or sped up to simulate different time frames, making them useful for studying both short and long-term processes.

4. Are there any real-life applications for Gedanken experiments and their potential slowness?

While Gedanken experiments are mainly used as thought experiments to explore theoretical concepts, they can also be applied to real-life situations. For example, they can be used to simulate and study the effects of slow processes, such as climate change, over long periods of time.

5. How can the speed of a Gedanken experiment be manipulated?

The speed of a Gedanken experiment can be manipulated by adjusting the parameters and variables that are being simulated. This can include changing the scale of time, the complexity of the system, and the level of detail being studied.