How should -x^2 be treated in graphing equations?

• Thread starter The Rev
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the conversation discussed the graphing of equations y=x^2 and y=-x^2, and the difference between treating -x as -1*x or as a number in itself. It was clarified that -x is treated as a factor and not necessarily a negative number, and the negative symbol can have different meanings depending on the context.
The Rev
I'm graphing equations, and I ran into a snag. I assumed that the graph would be the same for both of the following:

[tex]y=x^2[/tex] and [tex]y=-x^2[/tex]

since any negative number squared is equal to it's absolute value squared.

However, the book showed equation 2 as having an inverted graph of equation 1.

So, I suppose my question is, when I come across [tex]-x^2[/tex] should I treat it like [tex]-(x^2)[/tex] or like [tex](-x)^2[/tex]? IOW, should [tex]-x[/tex] be treated as [tex] -1*x[/tex] or as a number in and of itself, like [tex]-2[/tex]?

Thanks.

[tex]\phi[/tex]

The Rev

Mathematics news on Phys.org
[tex] x^2 = (-x)^2 [/tex] by some algebra. However you can show that [tex] -x^2 \neq x^2 [/tex] by some more algebra!

[tex] -x^2 = -1 x^2 [/tex]

the negative sign in -X is just a factor. so when you have [tex] -x^2[/tex] you are only squaring the X and not the factor that goes along with it. just like if you had [tex] 2x^2[/tex] you don't square the two. if you want to square the two, you'd use parenthesis, [tex] (2x)^2[/tex] same if you want to square the negative.

as far as how to generally treat -X you do just like i mentioned. you treat the negative as a factor, cause that's all it is. the negative symbol has different meanings, so its best to treat it separately. if you have a negative exponent for example, that's telling you that you've got to flip the fraction. if you have a negative with vectors, that has to do with direction.

another thing to remember is that -X isn't necessarily a negative number. if you plug -2 into that, you get a postive number. so, you aren't just putting a negative sign in front of everything, that negative symbol means you' get the opposite of whatever you put in.

Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification!

[tex]\phi[/tex]

The Rev

Related to How should -x^2 be treated in graphing equations?

1. What does the equation y=-x^2 represent?

The equation y=-x^2 represents a parabola, or a U-shaped curve, on a graph. The negative sign in front of the x^2 term indicates that the parabola opens downwards.

2. How do you solve for the mystery of y=-x^2?

To solve the mystery of y=-x^2, you can use algebraic methods such as factoring or the quadratic formula. You can also graph the equation to visually determine its solutions.

3. What are the roots or solutions of the equation y=-x^2?

The roots or solutions of the equation y=-x^2 are the x-values where the parabola intersects the x-axis. In this case, the roots are 0 and all negative numbers, since the parabola never crosses the positive x-axis.

4. How does changing the coefficient of the x^2 term affect the graph of y=-x^2?

The coefficient of the x^2 term in the equation y=-x^2 affects the steepness of the parabola. A larger coefficient will result in a narrower, steeper parabola, while a smaller coefficient will result in a wider, flatter parabola.

5. Can the equation y=-x^2 have a positive solution?

No, the equation y=-x^2 cannot have a positive solution since the parabola only intersects the x-axis at negative values. This is because the negative sign in front of the x^2 term causes the parabola to open downwards, so it will never cross the positive x-axis.