How should we approach measurement accuracy for pass/fail testing of boards?

• Thread starter mwcmwc
  • Start date
In summary: Accuracy of the fixture would ensure accuracy of the measurement.In summary, the discussion came about when engineers wanted to use nominal + high tolerance as the reading variable for a series of measurements with defined tolerances/limits. There are engineers that are questioning the test instruments ability to do these measurements, so it came down to these two options. One option is to use nominal value as the reading variable, while the other option is to use nominal + high tolerance as the reading variable. The option to use nominal + high tolerance as the reading variable is the more conservative approach and is more likely to pass more boards than using nominal as the reading variable. Ultimately, the question is what would you do and why? The engineer that responded said that they would
mwcmwc
Hi Everyone,

Brand new user here. Decided I want to say hi by posting a question.

So an interesting discussion popped up at work today...regarding measurement accuracy.

Test instruments such as DMM or oscope will have accuracy spec usually in the form of:

X=(reading)*(somepercentage)+offset

where X is the accuracy error calculated for that reading. As X increases, accuracy decreases.

The discussion came about when we decided to use these error calculations for a series of measurements with defined tolerances/limits that would be used to do a pass/fail test for a group of boards. There are engineers that are questioning the test instruments ability to do these measurements, so it came down to these two options:

1.) Use nominal value as the reading variable. Argument for is if design is solid, the board should always have nominal.

2.) Use nominal + high tolerance as the reading variable. Essentially, this will use the high limit as the reading value, thus presenting a more conservative calculation with higher instrument accuracy. Argument for this is, play it safe. We do not want to have bad design slip out on to the field.

To me it more or less boils down to a yield vs. design. Doing 1 will pass more boards than 2, yet 2 is the more conservative approach.

Finally coming to me question, what would you do and why? Personally, I'd pick 2, just seems like the right engineering thing to do.

Regards,
mwc

Engineering news on Phys.org
I always use the worst case number. I really don't depend on reading from test instruments, I use theoretically worst case value.

For example, if I want to calculate an op-amp error, I use 1% resistor, it would be 2% plus the offset and the offset drift plus the input bias current and drift error.

If you have a voltage reference, you have to add the error and drift into it. Also DAC and ADC error.

If you use only the test instruments to look for the error, that is after the fact already, there is no way to guaranty even if you read 100 boards because you might just get one batch of resistors that lean one way on that batch of 100 boards. You always demand the design engineer in the design stage to guaranty the accuracy, not at the test level.

I was a manager of EE in semiconductor metrology, and this was how I ran the engineering. That's what engineer are paid to do. It is a headache but it has to be done. Or else what are you going to do with the boards that fail? dump it?

Last edited:
yungman said:
You always demand the design engineer in the design stage to guaranty the accuracy, not at the test level.

This I agree with 100%.

To clarify a bit more on the situation, at this stage of the testing...it is more or less after the fact as you would say.

Why I say this is, the demand to get accuracy and performance based on worst case numbers has already been done on the design end. Design has already tested out their boards against the spec via engineering sample boards and proceeded to make say a batch of 10000.

Essentially, my situation is no longer design verification (that is done by designs check mentioned earlier) but more of a mass production/manufacturing check. So now it boils down, are my test instruments accurate enough to qualify these boards use? I know my design is supposedly solid, but I still need to eliminate any outlier due to manufacturing or part defects.

Thanks for your reply,
mwc

I would use the worst case to test the boards. Maybe it's your case II.

Do you design dedicate fixture to test the boards? If so, you can test the test fixture to be very accurate either by choosing parts, since it is very low quantity.

Related to How should we approach measurement accuracy for pass/fail testing of boards?

1. What is metrology and why is it important?

Metrology is the science of measurement and plays a crucial role in ensuring accuracy, reliability, and precision in a wide range of industries and applications. It is important because accurate measurements are essential for quality control, product development, and scientific research.

2. What are the different types of metrology?

There are three main types of metrology: dimensional metrology, mechanical metrology, and electrical metrology. Dimensional metrology focuses on the measurement of physical dimensions, such as length, width, and thickness. Mechanical metrology involves the measurement of forces, torque, and pressure. Electrical metrology deals with the measurement of electrical quantities, such as voltage, current, and resistance.

3. What are the tools and instruments used in metrology?

Some common tools and instruments used in metrology include calipers, micrometers, gauges, CMMs (coordinate measuring machines), optical comparators, and surface roughness testers. Each type of measurement requires a specific instrument to ensure accuracy and precision.

4. How does metrology impact the manufacturing industry?

Metrology plays a critical role in the manufacturing industry by ensuring that products meet quality standards and specifications. Accurate measurements are necessary for product development, production, and quality control. Metrology also helps identify and correct any errors or defects in the manufacturing process, leading to improved efficiency and cost savings.

5. How can I become a metrology expert?

Becoming a metrology expert requires a strong understanding of mathematics, physics, and engineering principles. Many universities offer degree programs in metrology or related fields such as mechanical engineering or physics. Additionally, hands-on experience with different measurement tools and techniques is essential. Continuous learning and staying updated on new technologies and industry standards are also crucial for becoming a metrology expert.